#1 2010-11-27 13:50

den4b
Administrator

New web site design

Finally I had time to update the site!

• Rebuilt from ground up, with a new cleaner layout and markup.

• Description of the new products was added (downloads will follow shortly).

• A bunch of online tools to help with everyday development tasks.

• Published list of donors (please let me know if you don't want your name on the list).

Let me know what you think, your feedback will be much appreciated!

#2 2010-11-29 14:42

eR@SeR

Re: New web site design

Nice and fresh look... Good job smile

A bunch of online tools to help with everyday development tasks.

Very interesting stuff no doubt. I like Hash and Checksum tool but there are two flaws.

1. You have to upload whole file in order to see hashes (it could be any size).
2. Many files are private and shouldn't be uploaded so I ask you if you can made an offline version for us.

Thanks wink

TRUTH, FREEDOM, JUSTICE and FATHERLAND are the highest morale values which human is born, lives and dies for!

#3 2010-11-29 15:37

Andrew

Not only should a max. file size be mentioned (and checked), but for privacy purposes there should be a bold red notice stating that the server will auto-delete any uploaded files after x minutes.

#4 2010-11-29 19:29

SafetyCar
Website

eR@SeR wrote:

2. Many files are private and shouldn't be uploaded so I ask you if you can made an offline version for us.

That's what Hasher is for, isn't it?

If this software has helped you, consider getting your pro version. :)

#5 2010-11-29 22:57

den4b
Administrator

I have added a note regarding the maximum file size and about automatic deletion of temporarily uploaded files.

#6 2010-11-30 03:47

eR@SeR

SafetyCar wrote:

That's what Hasher is for, isn't it?

I was under privacy impression big_smile Yep you right roll
Anyway is there any difference between online tool and Hasher? I'm not so sure sorry sad

den4b wrote:

I have added a note regarding the maximum file size and about automatic deletion of temporarily uploaded files.

Now it's more clear. Thanks smile

Forgot to say...
On ReNamer's download page, Additional downloads could be sorted, to be more clear what is what (for ex. localizations, manuals...).

TRUTH, FREEDOM, JUSTICE and FATHERLAND are the highest morale values which human is born, lives and dies for!

#7 2010-11-30 11:08

Andrew

BTW Denis, on the Encoder/Decoder and Hash/Checksum page, for more ease of use can you select one of the radio buttons by default?

Or how about changing them to checkboxes, so that the user can view for example CRC32 and MD5 at the same time?

One more thing - when you say:

Uploaded files are temporarily stored on the server for processing and automatically deleted after the processing has finished.

So when are the files deleted exactly? Suppose I select CRC32 and it displays that. Then if I want to check MD5, will the file have been deleted already and do I need to re-upload?

#8 2010-12-01 02:46

den4b
Administrator

Or how about changing them to checkboxes, so that the user can view for example CRC32 and MD5 at the same time?
Good idea. I converted them to checkboxes.

So when are the files deleted exactly?
By the time the page is loaded (when you see the calculated hash) the file is already deleted.

#9 2010-12-01 14:42

Andrew

General suggestion: Every page of the site has the same title, i.e. your name. Why not have something like "Denis Kozlov > Tools > Hash and Checksum" instead so we know exactly where we are by just looking at the taskbar browser button?

Hash and Checksum:

1. I forget to select any of the 3 checkboxes.
2. I browse and select a file.
3. I press encode and spend time waiting for the file to be uploaded.
4. Input content size is correctly specified for my file so I know it's been uploaded fine.
5. I see no output!

There has to be a check, maybe using JavaScript, to not upload a file and show an error if no encoding method is selected. Otherwise user wastes time uploading, sees no output, then has to upload all over again. Not user-friendly at all.

Encoder and Decoder: Same problem as above, i.e. an error should be shown before the file is uploaded uselessly. Also, the recommended UI guidelines in case of a radio button group state that one should always be selected by default. That's why unlike checkboxes, radio buttons can't all be unselected. One is always selected in a group.

#10 2010-12-03 19:21

den4b
Administrator

"Denis Kozlov > Tools > Hash and Checksum" style titles
Done.

Check boxes and radio buttons
Most check boxes are ticked by default and in radio button groups one is selected in all of the tools.

Search
Search option has been added to the menu which brings up site search (powered by Google).

P.S. Even though the new site is live, it is still under development. Give it some time and it will get better wink

Board footer