#1 2012-07-11 10:57

thor.a

Action "sleep": Only hybrid sleep possible in Windows 7

I had disabled the energy feature 'hybrid sleep' (a sort of combination of S3 sleep + hibernation) in energy options in Windows 7. However when using the Shutter v2.90 action "sleep" my PC makes a "hybrid sleep "  instead of just going to S3 sleep immediately.

Is there any solution for this problem? Background is that writing 8 GB every day to my SSD hard disk is not necessary for the rare case of power failure when being in S3. The other possibilities to enter S3 immediately via Windows start menu or e.g. ProcessExplorer work without any problems, i.e. without the hybrid sleep.

Thank you for any help

Thorsten

Last edited by thor.a (2012-07-11 11:29)

#2 2012-07-16 07:58

den4b
Administrator

Re: Action "sleep": Only hybrid sleep possible in Windows 7

I'm using a standard WinAPI function SetSuspendState to triger the Sleep state, however, Windows seems to decide itself what variation of Sleep mode to enter.

It has been advised in several articles around Internet that disabling Hibernation will also disable Hybrid Sleep and allow the normal Sleep. There is also an option of specifically disabling Hybrid Sleep which might be the best workaround.

Can you try this and let me know if it worked?

#3 2012-07-16 12:48

thor.a

Hi,
thank you for your answer.

As I wrote I have disabled Hybrid Sleep already but it won't work with your tool. Disabling the whole function "Hibernation" completely would work for sure but I don't want to disable it because sometimes I need it.

Because Process Explorer works to put my computer in the Sleep state S3 (right click on its tray icon) and of course the Sleep button of the Windows start menu itself works, too,  I had the hope that there exists some solution for Shutter.

Thorsten

#4 2012-08-01 22:59

Andrew

As Denis said, calling SetSuspendState when hibernation is enabled triggers hybrid sleep (you'll get the exact same result if you run rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState via the command-line or a batch file).

Possible solutions to make the PC truly sleep are:

1) Run the following command from Shutter or a batch file: psshutdown -d

2) Run the following commands from a batch file:

powercfg -hibernate off
rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

(In this case, if you want you can schedule a task to run on startup or logon or wakeup to trigger powercfg -hibernate on in order to reset to the default hibernation enabled state.)

#5 2012-08-03 16:28

thor.a

Well, the challenge would be to find a solution to put the PC in S3 without using hybrid sleep. There exists a solution, because I am currently using two tools which are able to do it without altering the power configuration scheme:

- Process Explorer (right click on tray icon and select standby)

- Keyboard Launchpad (configure a hot key for the action "sleep/suspend")

Of course I don't know how they realized it, but perhaps one could ask them (at least the developer from ProcessExplorer).

Thorsten

#6 2012-08-03 23:05

Andrew

PsShutdown which I mentioned above can also do what Process Explorer can, i.e. send the PC to sleep without needing to turn hibernation off. Not surprising of course, given that both utilities have been created by Mark Russinovich, formerly of SysInternals which is now a part of Microsoft.

#7 2012-08-06 20:11

thor.a

PsShutdown cannot be executed in a normal console without administrative rights in Windows 7 because it seems to need to install a special temporary service (psservice.exe). But in a console with administrative rights it works as expected, you are right. Thanks!

BTW The other tools I mentioned above work without adminstrative rights...

But anyway  I had the hope that the author wants to find a real solution for his tool. Sometimes I have luck with support questions in forums.

Thorsten

#8 2012-08-08 22:33

Andrew

Maybe he can use a debugger to figure out which API function these two tools are using...

#9 2012-08-08 23:30

den4b
Administrator

thor.a, maybe you could ask those developers about the specific method that they are using?

And I will do my part of implementing it.

#10 2012-08-09 23:27

Andrew

I highly doubt someone like Russinovich will bother or have time to reply to queries like this, especially with the release of Windows 8 just round the corner. But I guess no harm in trying, although you might be lucky in finding the answer elsewhere.

Board footer