#1 2006-12-09 17:38

fjord

Show preset name

I often run the same preset on several batches of image files, over the course of an evening. Using the option "Save rules configuration on exit" leaves the preset loaded each time ReNamer is restarted. But if I take a break, or continue work the next day, the next time I start ReNamer I have to look closely at the rules to be sure the correct preset is loaded, or reload the preset just to be sure.

When a preset is being used, it would be helpful if the preset name was shown above the list of rules. That would save having to look closely at the rules each time ReNamer is opened. The preset name could be shown on the toolbar to the right of the up/down icons, or on the bar under the rules, or maybe on the window title bar.

If changes are made to rules loaded from a preset, just append "[changed]" after the original preset name. That would remind us to save the changes, while still showing what the original preset name was.

If we then give our presets nice descriptive names, like "Append exif date to Canon S3 filenames", having our preset names appear would be a real user-friendly addition.

#2 2006-12-09 18:27

den4b
Administrator

Re: Show preset name

You wouldn't believe if I tell you how many times I've started implementing this feature, playing with dropdown boxes everywhere! big_smile

I was just saying the same thing to dloneranger, that I tried putting this dropdown box, which would not only display the name of the current preset, but would also let you load another preset more quickly. Didn't figure out yet the correct location and right looks of it, because I don't want to sacrifice the nice looks of the user interface. This will be done, it is just the matter of time.

#3 2006-12-09 18:40

fjord

Great to hear you're working on it.

Why not skip the drop down box and just add the preset name to the window title bar? As part of the window title it would automatically appear on ReNamer's task bar button and task switcher (alt-Tab) display. Double bonus and your lovely GUI is left untouched cool

#4 2006-12-09 18:55

den4b
Administrator

The reason why I went for the dropdown box - is that it will also allow quickly and easily LOAD and SAVE presets, without going through the menus and dialogs. I like the TITLE idea, but i will still have to implement the dropdown box sooner or later, so it will kinda double my effort and functionality. Thats why I want to go for the dropdown...

Board footer