#1 2013-10-16 17:57

vanj

Delay popup missing

I have been using a older version of Shutter on Windows 7 for a long time. I recently got a new machine and installed the latest version and setup a event/trigger to Sleep the machine at a certain time. I was actually using the machine at that time and, to my horror, it still proceeded to sleep! In the prior version, there used to be an option to popup a window to delay/cancel/restart the event. I can't seem to locate that setting in this version. Is it gone or am I missing something? Any other way to not have it kick me off if I am using the machine when the event is triggered?

Thanks

#2 2013-10-17 10:30

den4b
Administrator

Re: Delay popup missing

Simply add a "Message" action just before the "Reboot" action.

This will display a custom message for the specified period of time and allow you to Continue, Restart Events, or Exit Shutter.

Shuter-Add-Action-Message.png

#3 2013-10-17 14:45

vanj

Perfect! Thanks. Quick followups

1. What is the difference between Cancel and Restart? I have a time-based trigger, at say 12am. Does Cancel mean cancel the event, pretend it never happened? and Restart means reset the event so it will fire at the *next* 12am?

2. If the action is "sleep", can I add another Shutter instance to wake the computer at a specified time? Currently, I use another little utility www dot dennisbabkin dot com / wosb to do this but it would be great if Shutter could do both functions.

Thanks again.

Last edited by vanj (2013-10-17 14:46)

#4 2013-10-17 19:16

den4b
Administrator

* Cancel - stops the current sequence of events and actions.
* Restart - restarts the current sequence of events and actions.
* Exit - stops execution and closes Shutter.

Currently Shutter does not have a function to schedule wake up of the computer. It's hard to integrate it into the workflow used y Shutter where a series of events are being constantly monitored and a series of actions executed when events have been triggered. While "Wake Up" is more of a standalone action.

#5 2013-10-17 19:32

vanj

OK so if I I have a single event/action of "at time 12am/message+sleep" and I get the Message popup at 12am, clicking Restart would mean it fires at the *next* 12am? 

Can I set it up such that when the Message timer expires, it popups it up again before executing the next (Sleep) action? I guess I am thinking of the Snooze button on a alarm clock, except in reverse :-) The computer wants to go to sleep at 12am and I would like Shutter's help to keep "snoozing" the Sleep action for few more minutes at a time until I am ready.

How can this be done? Thanks

#6 2013-10-20 11:17

den4b
Administrator

Currently there is no snooze functionality, but this could be achieved by using two separate presets.

One presets is your normal one and the second is for snoozing. Display a message when the first presets fires, which will allow you to cancel further actions to cancel the shutdown. Then, start the "snooze" preset that simply countdowns the snooze interval and prompts you again before shutting down your computer. The message displayed by the "snooze" preset will allow you to restart events, hence, extending the snooze.

This may be cumbersome but it's currently the only way.

Board footer