#1 2017-12-23 17:26

Bastilon

ReName Pictures using EXIF details and correct time/date

Hi,

I'm using the ReNamer and very happy with that tool.
But actually I'm facing a challenge which I don't get resolved.
I've many digicam pictures from different people.
All these pictures I copy to a folder and now I'd like to sort them all. I'm using the follwing format: YYYY-MM-DD_HH-MM-SS.JPG.
Now the first problem: Not everybody has the right time and date setted up in his digicam. OK, for these pictures I need to add to the EXIF time 8 hours. Or maybe I need to subtract 8 hours. Depends.
If I subtract 8h from 6pm its clear, thats 10am in the end. But if I need to subtract 8h from 3am I need another formula and I also need to adjust the date!
Actually I'm doing that with excel, which is really bad. Because I need to copy and paste all the information between the prgrams.

The other problem is how can I use the EXIF information to rename the pictures. For example replace the Model like HTC One M9 with the name from the photograph. Or maybe the date. These action I actually do with IrfanView, but would like to do that with the ReNamer as well.

So I hope I get some nice tricks here.
Many thanks in advance.

Regards
Bastilon

#2 2017-12-26 20:39

den4b
Administrator

Re: ReName Pictures using EXIF details and correct time/date

Here are couple of nice tricks which should help you.

1. Adjust date/time in EXIF meta information.

You can use ExifTool – a command line tool for extracting and manipulating meta associated with images. It has a Date/Time Shift Feature which allows you to add or subtract any date/time components.

For example, here is a command to add 8 hours to all dates in JPG files:

exiftool -AllDates+=8 *.jpg

2. Add EXIF information to filenames via ReNamer's meta tags.

ReNamer currently has 4 meta tags which extract EXIF information from JPG files.

:EXIF_Date:
:EXIF_Model:
:EXIF_Make:
:EXIF_Description:

Learn more about Meta Tags in ReNamer.

Board footer