#21 2019-08-25 23:32

dannician

Re: Keep moved files in same order as in parent folders after moving.

I will state it again: 

I can set up the sort columns in ReNamer but that sort order is not preserved when the final results are viewed, unless I first change  the date taken, date modified and date created in each photo to be the same adding 1 second in ascending order by path..  Regardless of what options are used in ReNamer the outcome is the same.  The sort order is always jumbled.

However, if ReNamer can changes the date taken, date modified and date created to be the same, with 1 second added to each one, I would not have to use another program to do this. 

I will make another post with this question to keep it separate.  Thank you for your time.

#22 2019-08-26 13:44

den4b
Administrator

Re: Keep moved files in same order as in parent folders after moving.

dannician wrote:

I can set up the sort columns in ReNamer but that sort order is not preserved when the final results are viewed, unless I first change  the date taken, date modified and date created in each photo to be the same adding 1 second in ascending order by path..  Regardless of what options are used in ReNamer the outcome is the same.  The sort order is always jumbled.

The only explanation I can think of is that the values in your sort column (date created or date taken?) are same, and the ordering of the files by the same value would be undefined.

The ordering of same values will depend on the particulars of the sorting algorithm, and can differ between instances. So if you resort again, the order of items with same sortable values may change.

Does that capture what you are experiencing?

In this case, perhaps, sorting by multiple columns simultaneously (which isn't currently supported) may resolve the issue.

For example, sorting by Date Created and by Filename could produce a stable sorting order, when many files have the same Date Created.

Board footer