#1 2019-10-22 15:00

Rnmr

How do you create/apply a 'presets directory'

I just bought 7.1 pro. Very excited about the presets directories feature.

However, I cannot find a way to do this. There does not seem to be any intuitive approach to it.
I tried right-click menu in rules field and some options in the presets menu at top border are greyed out.

What gives?

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
- RWE

#2 2019-10-22 17:06

den4b
Administrator

Re: How do you create/apply a 'presets directory'

Hello and welcome!

To save a preset in a directory structure you just need to specify the structured path when saving a preset.

For example, "Folder\Preset" will save a preset by name "Preset" in a folder by name "Folder".

Alternatively, you can browse to the presets folder and arrange them using the Windows Explorer.

#3 2019-10-23 17:03

Rnmr

Ok, I see. Thanks!

Although, that's not what I was hoping for.

The other renamer I use regularly has had this basic idea since
well before ReNamer 6.8. With 'Advanced Renamer' you 'load > folder where presets are kept opens >
you choose which preset-group file you want'. The difference is that this one shows the same process
as a menu (it's a nice little way of presenting it that I think I will like more).

However, for it to be fully realized, there are 2 more things that could be done:

1. Presets > Load > presets group name > *list of individually selectable presets included in the group with selectable
                                                                group name repeated at the top of submenu.

2. The ability to mimic a collapsible folder tree structure directly inside the
'rules  field' of the preset group that is loaded.

(#2) This cuts down the need to have to reload or recreate new presets/preset groups every time a new job
comes up for tasks and project needs that vary little from preset combinations that have already been
used. It is also easier to manage, as it cuts down on the visual confusion sometimes involved in complex jobs that
may involve many rules/presets.

Advanced Renamer has a collapsible concept it uses for multiple rules, but this is only for space conservation
and does not mimic a directory structure.

Last edited by Rnmr (2019-10-28 15:36)

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
- RWE

#4 2019-11-20 17:48

den4b
Administrator

These are very interesting ideas and will be considered for implementation.

A similar idea is currently pending implementation - the ability to add presets as individual renaming rules. So you could have complex combinations of multiple presets and/or standard renaming rules. This should offer the same functionality, but with a different interface.

Last edited by den4b (2019-11-20 17:49)

Board footer