#1 2019-11-09 09:42

Dirk

New name of file that will be renamed correctly/without problems red?

Why is the new name of a file that will be renamed correctly / without problems red?
5A8AqGu.png

Red, I would think. is the color for alarms / problems, etc. Why isn't it e.g. green, a color for "OK"?

#2 2019-11-09 13:24

Stefan

Re: New name of file that will be renamed correctly/without problems red?

That color is not to mark success or fail (therefor you can use the error column),
but to mark changed file names for to differ from unattached untouched files.

Why not go to settings and choose a color better fit your desire?
(will need ReNamer v5.76 from 2014 or later)

Last edited by Stefan (2019-11-09 20:54)

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#3 2019-11-09 13:36

Dirk

Didn't know there is such an option.

But why is the default color red (if there is not any problem and if there is also, so one might miss it)?

#4 2019-11-09 17:25

Rnmr

Stefan wrote:

but to mark changed file names for to differ from unattached files

Huh? unattached?

You mean it is to distinguish between the 'original' filename and the 'changed' filename.

Dirk wrote:

Red, I would think. is the color for alarms / problems, etc. Why isn't it e.g. green, a color for "OK"?

I think it is bizarre to have red as a default for change. In the US, red means
danger, error, unsafe, hot, alarm, keep out, not allowed, etc. If you don't want to use green because you are just
trying to indicate a 'preview' of the proposed final state, use something like basic blue. That way, only the check mark 'after'
the 'actual' change is green.

Last edited by Rnmr (2019-11-09 17:33)

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
- RWE

#5 2019-11-09 20:53

Dirk

That color is not to mark success or fail (therefor you can use the error column),

Yes yes, I understand, but it looks like it would mark fail (for me).

but to mark changed file names for to differ from unattached files.

Yes yes, I understand that, but it looks like as if there are problems (because it is marked with red instead of for example with green). Usually programs do us colors like that.

In the US, red means
danger, error, unsafe, hot, alarm, keep out, not allowed, etc.

I would think in many other countries / programs it means the same. I am used to colors used like that.

That way, only the check mark 'after'
the 'actual' change is green.

Good idea.

#6 2019-11-20 15:35

den4b
Administrator

Thank you all for your input.

It appears that the blue color is generally more acceptable for this use case, such that it eliminates common ambiguities. The default color will be changed to blue, no problem. However, a part of me thinks that at some point there will be another thread about issues with using the blue color, but I guess we can deal with it when/if we get there.

I believe the red color was originally chosen as a warning to the user that the filename has been affected by the renaming rules.

#7 2019-11-27 21:52

Dirk

The default color will be changed to blue, no problem.

That sounds good, thank you. If more colors could be used than one a green (instead of blue) color might show there are no problems with renaming the file and it will be done. And red color shows the file cannot be renamed and black (and / or fading out, greying out the none effected files) the file is not effected by the renaming rules and e.g. yellow attention. Or something like that.

I believe the red color was originally chosen as a warning to the user that the filename has been affected by the renaming rules.

Yes, may be a warning with missing (or without understanding the right) context (warning of a problem or of executing the task).

#8 2019-11-28 18:57

Rnmr

There is the psychological side of being heavily conditioned to think of a color(s)
in a certain way, and then there is just someone not liking a particular color.

We'll side with the current psychology/conditioning of red as a problem, and anyone who
'just doesn't like' the new blue default can choose something else in the options.

In the meantime, we'll wait to see if there are enough complaints that other places/countries
have mass conditioned their people to see blue as danger, error, etc. I'm 'guessing' it is a
fairly low percentage in comparison.

Although, speaking of mass conditioning, the ladies might complain that it should be 'pink' (haha).
Even though, the reason for my choosing basic blue is its non-negative associations of calm,
peaceful, cool/cold, etc. and at the same time not being too dark, light, or awkward in
some way while still reserving the final, actual change to be in the form of the green jumbo check mark.

But mainly, thanks for being reasonable and taking seriously a concern
that, at least on the surface, might seem a bit silly cool

Last edited by Rnmr (2019-11-28 19:02)

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
- RWE

#9 2019-11-28 20:55

Dirk

No no, the use of colors cannot be considered as silly or such, I guess.

I assume that conditioning / use will be (almost) the same all over the world, similar road signs / traffic lights for example.

Yes yes, blue is pretty good as well. Green in this context / meaning means something like "go on (it is OK, nothing bad will / should happen)" (in opposite to red), blue - I would think - in this context might not be as good understandable as green.

#10 2019-11-28 21:37

Rnmr

Yes, I don't disagree, but green has the problem of dual indication, 'good to go on', 'move to the next step' or 'healthy, ripe, full of
life', implying something is complete or where it needs to be.

My point was to satisfy the developers possible need to distinguish between three different states (original, 'proposed' change,
actual change) beyond just playing around with a difference in form on some of the indicators ('green' wording versus the 'green'
check mark).

Personally, I'm good with the logic of what you are saying, however, if the default was a double green color for the last two indicators,
I would still change the proposed state to blue in the settings. I just like the way that looks wink

Last edited by Rnmr (2019-11-28 21:37)

- RWE

Board footer