#1 2020-05-13 11:19

Karleesi

Serialize/Count files in "wrong" order?

It's me again, sorry. Can someone help me with this "problem"? The counting of the files seems odd... The software first takes 1 then 11 and so on. See screenshot. Thanks in advance. This is a really important issue for me.

EDIT: Moved to a separate topic. Originally posted in Serialize files excluding when only one in a folder.

forum.jpg

Last edited by den4b (2020-05-13 19:49)

#2 2020-05-13 11:28

Stefan

Re: Serialize/Count files in "wrong" order?

Hi Karleesi, we probably will move this question to an own thread to not mix different question in one single many page thread, ok?

To your issue:
can you check your settings please
>> Einstellungen > Allgemein > Natürliche Sortierung
>> Settings > General > Use natural order sorting
Next sort the Name column in 1,2,3...-order and preview with that setting again?

Thx

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#3 2020-05-13 11:32

Karleesi

Ok, thanks!
It was already ticked/checked.
I tried Serialize -> tick/check "Pad with zeros to length" and it solved the problem.
I hope I didn't do anything wrong?
Thanks again.

#4 2020-05-13 15:33

Stefan

Karleesi wrote:

Ok, thanks!
. . .. it solved the problem.

Great you worked that out.

Karleesi wrote:

Ok, thanks!
I hope I didn't do anything wrong?

Not at all. It's just that different topics should be treated in different threads,
so a Q&A can be found by others again, and different replies on different topics don't mess up together.
There is an exception if the different questions belongs to one and the same issue.

Happy ReNaming ;-)

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#5 2020-05-13 18:19

Karleesi

All of a sudden my solution doesn't work anymore. Seems it wasn't the solution. See screenshot. It sorts the name alphabetically like 1 10 11 .. 2 21 22... Any idea?

Strange that I thought Serialize -> tick/check "Pad with zeros to length" solved the problem. I think because I dragged and dropped the files manually from the folder. I'm pretty sure it did somehow with the first case/screenshot above... Can anyone help? Thanks again. Why doesn't Stefan's solution work? It must be the correct solution I guess. Thanks in advance!

forum2.jpg

Last edited by Karleesi (2020-05-13 19:33)

#6 2020-05-13 19:56

den4b
Administrator

It looks like you are sorting by different columns in different screenshots. But the order appears correct for the sorted column.

Karleesi wrote:

It sorts the name alphabetically like 1 10 11 .. 2 21 22... Any idea?

Make sure to enable "Use natural order sorting algorithm" in the Settings.

#7 2020-05-13 20:02

Karleesi

I activated "Use natural..."
It works when I drag and drop the files manually but not when I add (many) folders with "Add folders"
When I sort by name it looks like this:
name.jpg
When I sort by New Name it looks like this:
new-name.jpg

#8 2020-05-13 22:13

den4b
Administrator

The rules do not get re-applied automatically when you change the order of files. This is by design.

You should do the following:

1. Add files/folders
2. Sort by original name
3. Re-apply rules (click the Preview button)

#9 2020-05-13 22:49

Karleesi

Ok, thanks. Did I understand that right: Only load the rules AFTER the folders/files are added? Then it's better when I uncheck (as default) "load rules when startup and save when end" again, right?

#10 2020-05-14 13:03

den4b
Administrator

Karleesi wrote:

Only load the rules AFTER the folders/files are added? Then it's better when I uncheck (as default) "load rules when startup and save when end" again, right?

No and no.

When you change the order of files by dragging them around in the list or through sorting by one of the columns, the rules do not get re-applied, i.e. new names are not regenerated. This means that your serialization index does not get updated after you change the order of files.

All you need to do is click the Preview button to force the regeneration of new names, if you want your serialization index to get updated after you change the order of files.

Board footer