#1 2020-05-19 08:52

vanon

Serialize, Suffix, Skip Extension, Possible Bug

When applying a Serialize rule "as suffix", it doesn't seem to want to add as suffix (instead it adds as prefix)... unless I insert a name beforehand. "Skip extension" seems to have no effect. Screens: Serialize No Name Serialize Name

I recently updated to latest version (7.2 Pro), after using an older version too long (6.6 Pro, but never had any problems). Windows 10 (Pro, 1909). Haven't fully tested all my presets, but this oddity was immediately obvious for one of my well-used presets. Am I doing something wrong? Bug?

Last edited by vanon (2020-05-19 09:03)

#2 2020-05-19 19:01

den4b
Administrator

Re: Serialize, Suffix, Skip Extension, Possible Bug

A dot at the front of the filename is not considered to be an extension delimiter, by design. On many systems it is a well known concept used for hiding system and configuration files. Even Windows has officially adopted this mechanism, although quite late, in Windows 10 1903.

You should apply the serialization as suffix before extension only after you have the base name, or insert it as a prefix if you don't yet have the base name.

#3 2020-05-20 03:35

vanon

Re: Serialize, Suffix, Skip Extension, Possible Bug

Thanks for the help, den4b! Much appreciated. It all makes a lot of sense now thanks to your explanation, and this adjustment works well.

My normal Photos preset is more complicated, was sure I needed "as suffix", or at least that "as prefix" didn't make sense (and older version agreed). I modified a bunch of things, but couldn't make sense of the results. Anyway, this is perfectly reasonable, and a very simple fix! Thanks again. TIL.

Board footer