#1 2008-05-22 07:31

Andrew

Mute/unmute volume feature doesn't work!

This is really strange... I use Shutter to mute the master volume and what do I get? Well, the mute checkbox is checked, the tray icon shown the red muted circle, and yet the volume in my already playing Winamp 5.51 (using the Nullsoft DirectSound Output Plugin v2.47) on Win XP Pro SP2 (on-board Intel 915 SigmaTel sound) is not affected at all!

If I open the volume control applet, uncheck the checkbox and then check it again, then the volume is muted successfully. Can anyone explain this weird behaviour to me please? roll

#2 2008-05-30 19:10

den4b
Administrator

Re: Mute/unmute volume feature doesn't work!

I am as lost as you are I'm afraid hmm

Is it only the Winamp that keeps playing after Shutter's mute? Did you try playing sounds through anything else? Do they come out too? Can you do some more testing, like "what happens if i do that first, etc". In the meantime, I will try to make a test app, with two different ways of muting the sound, and will put a link here for you to test it.

#3 2008-05-30 23:37

den4b
Administrator

I made a little test tool, which has 2 methods for muting / unmuting the master volume: 1st is the one Shutter uses, and 2nd is using the TAudioMixer component. Try it, and hopefully second one will work. If not, then there is nothing I can do to fix your problem, it might be a problem with your system setup.

Here it is: MuteTest.zip (~200Kb)

P.S. Both methods always worked for me on Win XP SP2.

#4 2008-05-31 04:49

Andrew

Thanks Denis. I won't have access to the system in question for a couple of days, so I'll check and get back to you as soon as possible.

#5 2008-06-02 11:24

Andrew

Denis, the second option using the TAudioMixer component works perfectly! I tried on another system with the latest add-on Creative sound card installed, and both options worked fine. But on this one system, only the second option works. The first option works only visually as I said, and it's independent of the player used (Winamp, WMP etc. all keep playing).

So it seems you can either keep only the second option active, or else provide an option in the Preferences somewhere to choose between the two for people with problem systems like mine.

Last edited by Andrew (2008-06-02 11:25)

#6 2008-06-02 20:53

den4b
Administrator

I don't think there is a need for this to be optional, it just have to work tongue

I have intergraded TAudioMixer component, and now mute/unmute is done via it.

Try here: ShutterBeta.zip

#7 2008-06-03 05:40

Andrew

Thanks Denis! The latest beta is awesome and works really well. One thing though... Options / Create Links doesn't create links for Volume Mute/Unmute anymore?

Also, the dialog for creating links... Can you make it a normal Save dialog please? Then we can copy-paste a long path instead of navigating to it every time.

#8 2008-06-08 14:45

den4b
Administrator

In the version 3, Mute/Unmute are no longer separate actions. "Create Links" option creates links only to the actions which don't require parameters or they are optional, for example: "Lock Workstation". I might later extend "Volume" action with an ability to set a particular volume level, or mute/unmute other controls.

Instead of creating a link, you can create a Shutter Preset, with empty list of events and with just one action - Volume Mute. Then, you can use that preset like a link.

Can you make it a normal Save dialog please?

Not sure what you are talking about...

#9 2008-06-09 16:45

Andrew

den4b wrote:

In the version 3, Mute/Unmute are no longer separate actions. "Create Links" option creates links only to the actions which don't require parameters or they are optional, for example: "Lock Workstation". I might later extend "Volume" action with an ability to set a particular volume level, or mute/unmute other controls.

That would be great! Then we could have separate presets for muting/unmuting and even for switching between high/low volume levels. I'm really looking forward to that! smile

den4b wrote:

Not sure what you are talking about...

I was talking of this dialog that you see when you want to save the links:

zumfep.png

It doesn't have any place to copy-paste a long path, so navigating to a deep path is a pain. Anyway, on second thought it's not so much of a problem, 'cos we can always create the links elsewhere and then move them. Also, how often does one create links anyway, right?

#10 2008-06-15 13:53

den4b
Administrator

Andrew wrote:

Anyway, on second thought it's not so much of a problem, 'cos we can always create the links elsewhere and then move them. Also, how often does one create links anyway, right?

Totally agree! big_smile

That's what I did, I placed shortcuts to a newly created folder on the desktop (using a handy button from the dialog), and then moved them around as I pleased. And the last time I did that was probably a year or more ago wink

Board footer