#1 2006-06-12 17:57

thefluxster

Undo Feature - use BATCH file

First off, love the program.  You might want to take a look at FileNameMagic Pro for a few more feature ideas.

One thing I would really like to see added in the near future is the option to create a batch file that would "undo" all of the renaming at a later date (say, after a few days you need to rename all the files back the way they were).

I use this because for processing purposes, some software progs handle shorter, serialized names and then when humans need the files again, it's easier with the long names.

Thanks!

#2 2006-06-14 08:41

den4b
Administrator

Re: Undo Feature - use BATCH file

Hi thefluxster,

thefluxster wrote:

One thing I would really like to see added in the near future is the option to create a batch file that would "undo" all of the renaming at a later date (say, after a few days you need to rename all the files back the way they were).

Never thought of this... Good one smile Give me few days, and I'll add this feature! By the way, I had a look at the FileNameMagic Pro and I did find few little interesting ideas, like: modifying file attributes, retrieving CD audio track names, and your suggestion about creating an Undo batch file.

I will post a download link here, in few days, so keep watching it wink

#3 2006-06-14 09:16

den4b
Administrator

Hehe... I've added it already big_smile

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be (thanks to the recent re-design of the core). It's a new "Export list of files and undo paths" option under the "Options" menu just above the files table. Use it after you rename your files, they will be saved as a list of current filepaths vs old filepaths, which you can import back using the "Import list of files and new names" option.

http://www.den4b.com/projects/ReNamer/ReNamerBeta.zip
Try it, and tell me how it goes, ok?

#4 2008-05-13 09:19

myce

Hi,

I know this is an rather old post, but it's a feature I need. Can't find this option in the current version (5.20). Am I looking in the wrong places or has it been removed?

Thanks,
    myce

#5 2008-05-13 09:43

myce

Arrrgh,

forget it. I found the option. Nevermind. roll

Thanks,
   myce

#6 2008-05-20 13:42

den4b
Administrator

I guess you found in the Main Menu -> File -> Undo (Ctrl+Z) tongue

#7 2013-09-02 09:54

Stefan

Discuss:

should/could there be a Program Settings (click) option to enable "Export list of files and undo paths" on default?

Like:
Settings > Rename > [X] Store Undo Log file to %temp% \ ReNamer_Log_201309021054.txt

So new users have this safety belt on on default.
Other who don't care can disable that feature.

Reason > http://www.den4b.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=8001#p8001

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#8 2013-09-02 15:34

den4b
Administrator

It's an interesting idea. I was thinking of a generic logging option for a long time now, but enabling such option by default may be a bad idea.

For example, some people do not wish to store history of actions or leave traces, especially when using ReNamer as a portable version. Also, to make logging application crash resistant it will need to output a line to the log before/after each renamed file - significantly slowing down the renaming process. Alternatively, log file could be created after all files are renamed, but if anything is to interrupt the process (e.g. application crash, reboot, power outage) the log will not capture partially processed list of files.

Anyhow, I do like the logging capability.

#9 2013-09-02 19:22

SafetyCar
Website

I think should say that this is the first time I get to know what that option is supposed to do.

Until now I just thought it undid the renaming to save a file only with the filepaths. (This is what you get when you click on it before you have renamed anything).

Couldn't it be renamed to something else? Maybe "Export the file to undo the last renaming" or something like that?

If this software has helped you, consider getting your pro version. :)

#10 2013-09-08 18:59

den4b
Administrator

SafetyCar wrote:

I think should say that this is the first time I get to know what that option is supposed to do.

Until now I just thought it undid the renaming to save a file only with the filepaths. (This is what you get when you click on it before you have renamed anything).

Couldn't it be renamed to something else? Maybe "Export the file to undo the last renaming" or something like that?

I kinda lost you here. Are you talking about the logging capability or the undo feature?

Board footer