#1 2006-06-19 04:30

LostHere

ReNamer: Context Menu's default behaviour

Hello, I am a new ReNamer user (attracted by the new unicode support smile ), and I really like it.  However, one thing I notice right away is that adding a folder using explorer's context menu always default to "Include subfolders" option.  Is it possible, maybe in some future version, to allow the default behavior to be chosen?  Of course, it might be even better to let the program remember my settings in the "Add Folders"'s browse window.  Right now the options (add all subfolders, include subfolders, include hidden files, etc) always get reset when I restart the program.

#2 2006-06-19 14:47

den4b
Administrator

Re: ReNamer: Context Menu's default behaviour

Hi LostHere smile

LostHere wrote:

However, one thing I notice right away is that adding a folder using explorer's context menu always default to "Include subfolders" option.

Yes, and you will also get the same behaviour when dragging and dropping folders to ReNamer, as well as copying and pasting. It is default behaviour because it is a logical, for example imagine you move the folder somewhere - you will expect that all the contents of that folder will move as well. I'm trying to follow that idea, thats why all the contents is added by default (including subfolders and hidden files).

LostHere wrote:

Is it possible, maybe in some future version, to allow the default behavior to be chosen?

Maybe, I'm not sure about this one yet, because it may introduce a lot of confusion due to some options contradicting each other and/or overloading with inconsistent options...

LostHere wrote:

Of course, it might be even better to let the program remember my settings in the "Add Folders" browse window. Right now the options (add all subfolders, include subfolders, include hidden files, etc) always get reset when I restart the program

Yes, it might be better to remember those options, but still - they should not affect the default behaviour for the actions described above, since they are not directly connected to them.

I will make ReNamer remember all of the options in the "Add Folders" dialog, but I would prefer to leave the default behaviour intact... Hope you'll understand my point smile

#3 2006-06-19 16:25

den4b
Administrator

I think I just solved our problem big_smile

I've added options to control the default behaviour of adding folders, which are located in Settings. So any operation (apart from Browse dialog) will process folders according to these options. The Browse dialog will inherit the default options initially (when application starts), but changing them within Browse dialog will not affect the default options. And only default options will be saved, not the ones that you set in the Browse dialog.

You can download the latest development version from here:

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~den4b/Projects/ReNamer/ReNamerBeta.zip

Try it, and tell me how it goes, ok?

#4 2006-06-19 20:18

LostHere

Yep, I just tried the development version, and now it is possible to choose the default behaviour.  This is a great option since I usually only want to rename the files in a specific folder when I add it in the context menu.

Thanks for the quick respond smile

Board footer