#1 2009-01-24 16:49

den4b
Administrator

Updated PunBB to 1.3

Forum has been updated to the latest stable release of PunBB 1.3 big_smile

Here are highlights of some of the changes:

* Extension system based on hooking technique.
* Full UTF-8 support.
* More customizable styles, templating system.
* New layout: markup, CSS, language files updated, markup helper functions added.
* URL rewriting schemes, nice URL's built-in.
* Split/merge topics functionality.
* Multiple groups for moderators allowed.
* Searches are now case-insensitive, more global, per-group and per-user options added.
* Certain "bad" characters are silently stripped out from the text input.
* Hotifx system based on extension system for quick bugfixes.

Updating process went a bit painful. The big problem was with non-English characters, e.g.: Russian, Serbian, etc. In short, after conversion all non-English symbols were displayed as "?????????", even tho one of the biggest changes in PunBB 1.3 was the full Unicode support, ironic isn't it? The problem was in the update script, for some reason it didn't properly convert the collation of database / table / fields into UTF-8. But after some messing and about 3 consequent restores and updates I finally got it to work!

All in all it took just under 5 hours... But I guess it is still a small price to pay for this great forum! smile

#2 2009-01-25 17:13

Andrew

Re: Updated PunBB to 1.3

Well, I noticed the change immediately when I logged in to post yesterday. Looks good, Denis! :)

P.S. Does the new version provide a Quick Reply form? Then we can use that for a quick reply, and the full-fledged form with the various BBCode buttons if we click the Post Reply link.

P.P.S. Denis, check the following screenshot out (IE7, XP). Is that how the checkbox is supposed to be positioned?

309ocw0.png

Last edited by Andrew (2009-01-25 17:23)

#3 2009-02-01 14:43

den4b
Administrator

Does the new version provide a Quick Reply form? Then we can use that for a quick reply, and the full-fledged form with the various BBCode buttons if we click the Post Reply link.

Yes, it does have Quick Reply form. I actually turn it off to make forum a little neater! wink I just thought that it doesn't have much use, but I might be wrong. Do you think it is very important for everyday posters?

check the following screenshot out (IE7, XP). Is that how the checkbox is supposed to be positioned?

I don't think it should be positioned there. It must be IE7 with their never ending breakage of web standards. I don't use nor have IE7, so can't test it. Do you want to report it to PunBB Report Bug?

#4 2009-02-01 16:43

Andrew

Duly reported Denis. smile

And yes, I think a Quick Reply form at the bottom of every page will make it easy to quickly reply to any post for frequent posters.

Last edited by Andrew (2009-02-01 16:45)

#5 2009-02-01 17:24

den4b
Administrator

I've turned on the "Quick Reply" form, and I'm actually using it right now to reply! big_smile

Also, I've turned on BBCode in signatures. I hope people are not going to misuse it...

#6 2009-02-01 23:41

krtek

So let me be the first one that will use BBCode in his signature wink

Last edited by krtek (2009-02-01 23:42)

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#7 2009-02-02 13:27

eR@SeR

Looks great and url's are now redirectable with BBCode active. Quick reply form is good thing also...
In one word outstanding new version of PunBB smile

TRUTH, FREEDOM, JUSTICE and FATHERLAND are the highest morale values which human is born, lives and dies for!

#8 2009-02-02 20:09

Andrew

Just a quick note Denis to tell you that I have reported that cookie issue to PunBB as well.

Board footer