#1 2009-09-30 15:03

narayan

Do not allow to close instance without warning

After setting event+action in a new instance, I have often closed it under the mistaken belief that it will minimize to system tray because I have set that in a previous instance.

only later do i remember that each Shutter instance closes by default; and to minimize it to tray, you have to set an option in each instance separately.

This is not intuitive.

Please change it this way:
1. Change the program's behavior consistently across all instances
2. Let the user access it through any instance (or a central interface)
3. Make "minimize to tray" as default.
    (Why would anyone close an instance after setting?)
4.  When we click on the x (close) button, ask the user "Do you want to exit? (Y/N)"

#2 2009-10-04 14:07

den4b
Administrator

Re: Do not allow to close instance without warning

1. Change the program's behavior consistently across all instances
2. Let the user access it through any instance (or a central interface)

Each copy of Shutter.exe will have its own settings stored in Shutter.ini, I don't see a great need for a centralized storage/configuration of settings. In fact, for application like Shutter I think it is better to have this flexibility of configuring each copy independently.

3. Make "minimize to tray" as default.
I've seen many applications which do not implement this practice, and personally I prefer the current behavior where Close button literally closed the application.

4. When we click on the x (close) button, ask the user "Do you want to exit? (Y/N)"
This I think is an overkill. Bringing up this message would make sense if an application could loose valuable user created data when the data is not saved.

Board footer