4.10 bugs found

hello
these are bugs I found

1. RegEx

file name : james.smith.pdf
rule : Replace pattern "(.*).(.*)" with "$2-$1"
result : -james.smith.pd
           -james.smit.pdf (skip ext)

looks like regEx rules are not friendly to .(dot)

2. Load - New names from user input, Option - Export file names...

(Unicode) international characters

"Export list of files and new names"
"Export list of files and undo paths"

when txt file with Int. Chars is created by those commands, when it is loaded back to renamer, all Int. Chars are screwed up. even that file is modified and re-saved from ultraedt.
(strange thing is this Int. chars looks just fine at Notepad, ultraedt...etc)
even worse, pasting directly to "new names from user input" window (ctrl+v) does not work if copied Int. Chars are renamer generated. ctrl+v works fine with notepad generated Int. Chars.
and if txt file is created originally by Ultraedt (and notepad), this txt file with Int. Chars loads and works perfectly with renamer.

strange...isn't it?

Last edited by Joo (2006-07-26 13:24)

#2 2006-07-26 19:10

den4b
Administrator

Re: 4.10 bugs found

Hi Joo, I have good news for you! smile

1. RegEx dot
That is not a bug, dot has a special meaning in the regular expressions - it is a meta character the represents any character. But if you want the use the dot as a character it-self, then you have to escape it with a slash "\". So, if you use Expression (.*)\.(.*) and Replace with $2, $1 - it will work as intended.

2. Load new names from user input
You are right, I simply forgot to update that dialog for the newly added Unicode support. It is fixed now! It supports Unicode text, and UTF-8 encoded files via load from file option. You can get the latest development version: ReNamerBeta.zip.

3. Export list of files and new names, Export list of files and undo paths, Import list of files and new names
These 3 work perfectly! They save Unicode in UTF-8 encoded files, and read them back successfully. P.S. make sure you change the font in the notepad, because its default font doesn't have Unicode characters.

#3 2006-07-27 02:02

Joo

HI den4b
thanks for quick reply. it helped a lot
I tried renamerbeta and now "load new names from user input" works perfect. thanks
but I found out "Import list of files and new names" function does not work on unicode.
since you said those works perfectly, I include screen capture.

what I did is simple.
1. I dragged some unicode files into renamer
and add a rule just for testing and generated new file name.
2. "Export to filename and new names" (tab seperated txt file)
3. instead opening the file in notepad. I just imported just created file in 2.
"Import filenames and new names" 

and here comes screen shots (this happens in both 4.10 and beta)

before export

img_876425_1448297_0?1153961264.jpg

after import (all file names are gone)

img_876425_1448297_1?1153961264.jpg

Hope I didn't bug you with this bug. smile

#4 2006-07-27 02:32

den4b
Administrator

but I found out "Import list of files and new names" function does not work on unicode.

Hmmm.... I just tried it again, both Import/Export with Unicode names (with Hebrew, Russian, English characters in the names), and they both worked perfectly. The table looked exactly the same after Importing as it looked before it, with both CSV and TXT formats. Can you send me your exported file (actually both: CSV and TXT)? Also, can you show the Folder/Path columns in the table after importing (right-click on the columns to get the menu)?

Hope I didn't bug you with this bug.

No, of course not! I'm glad that you reported it, and looking forward to solving it! smile

#5 2006-07-27 11:13

Joo

Hi
http://fileserver.cgntv.net/File2/Files … odeBug.zip

I made zip file with some screen captures and both csv, txt files
Interesting thing is that if csv file is opened by MS Excel, unicodes are broken.
the same file, opened with UltraEdt then chars. are OK.

I use XP pro Korean version, and default font is  GULIM.TTC  I think
I am sure you can find this font file on the Internet (it is about 13MB) and ofcourse I can e-mail you if you need one.

Hope you have good time.

#6 2006-07-29 12:34

den4b
Administrator

I tried them, they work! I've imported the files and thier contents appeared correctly. I think you missed a very important bit of information: ReNamer exports and Imports files using UTF8 encoding for the Unicode characters, to preserve the backward compatibility with none-Unicode platforms and text editors.

If you open these exported files from UltraEdit or EditPlus or even Notepad - they will automatically detect the UTF8 encoded file. Unfortunately, MS Excel doesn't do that, it always assumes that Unicode characters are not encoded. To be able to edit exported files that contain Unicode chars with Excel - you have to manually convert UTF8 encoded exported file to a plain Unicode file. You can do that using any of these text editors listed above. Click on 'Save As', and you will be able to choose encoding at the bottom of a dialog where you specify the path. Save it as 'Unicode', then open in Excel, edit, save, then convert back to UTF8 using the technique described above, and then you can successfully load it back to ReNamer.

These steps are required only when you export Unicode filenames and want to edit them in Excel. You can edit exported file with any of these editors: UltraEdit or EditPlus or even Notepad - without any extra steps.

Tell me how it goes, ok? smile

Board footer