#1 2010-07-30 07:15

den4b
Administrator

Forum and Wiki updates

I have migrated forum software from PunBB to FluxBB.

PunBB hasn't been updated in a long time and it seems that its development has been stopped. FluxBB (forked from PunBB) on the other side is evolving rapidly. Apart from visual improvements it has some other important core changes and fixes. This update also helps me fight spam bots, which were getting unstoppable on PunBB.

Wiki is also expecting and upgrade to a new version 1.16 which has been released just couple of days ago (2010-07-28). This should also bring some visual and functional improvements.

P.S. If you have any problems with the new forum software, please report them straight away.

#2 2010-07-30 08:16

auwebio

Re: Forum and Wiki updates

I love the new forum interface (visual/colors/skin)! Very easy on the eyes. Simple and clean, just like ReNamer. The new code-boxes with contrasting colors are awesome.

#3 2010-07-30 20:27

Andrew

Yes, +1 for the new look. Also, for the first time that I can remember, I am able to log in successfully without receiving a stupid error message about cookies, which I used to receive each and every single time with PunBB. mad Irritating, to say the least. But it's all good now! smile

Last edited by Andrew (2010-07-30 20:27)

#4 2010-07-31 02:27

narayan

Normally buttons are provided just above entry box for formatting the text (e.g. bold, italics, underline) or other bb actions (e.g. quotes)

A "Preview" button is also supposed to be there at the bottom.

I cannot see these buttons on my screen.
Am I missing a user-setting, or are these features yet to be activated?

#5 2010-07-31 10:55

den4b
Administrator

Formatting buttons are not included in the standard installation. I had to install a mod to add this feature, please test it.

Preview button is not available in the "Quick Post" mode.

#6 2010-08-01 04:00

narayan

den4b wrote:

I had to install a mod to add this feature, please test it.

The quote works perfectly. However, it takes the whole text from the post, not just the highlighted text. I wonder if that is possible. It is my impression that some engines allow this. (But then the users may be editing out the other parts, as I did here.)

I tried the formatting (bold, italic and underline), and the crossed out text. Everything works fine.

The emoticons are far fewer than expected, but work fine also. cool

Heading text

The list is not intuitive to use. It is not clear how to create a list from multi-line text.
Also, the cursor is placed BEFORE the tags in a list, which will create confusion for new users.
(In contrast, for other pair of tags such as bold, italics, etc. the cursor is automatically placed between the tags.)

I could not figure out how to use the pre-formatted text.

The ? icons should have links to  BB help page. (nice help page btw!)
Instead, words like BBcode, tag and smilies are provided with links. It may not occur to the users that help is available through these links.
Actually I expected the link to toggle the BBCode (not to open a page with help text).
The page should have an explicit "Help" link (to the BB help page).

Would it be possible to have often-used keyboard shortcuts like CTRL+B and CTRL+I? (like the Rich Editor)

Last edited by narayan (2010-08-01 04:11)

#7 2010-08-04 13:39

eR@SeR

Andrew wrote:

Yes, +1 for the new look. Also, for the first time that I can remember, I am able to log in successfully without receiving a stupid error message about cookies, which I used to receive each and every single time with PunBB.  Irritating, to say the least. But it's all good now!

That problem disappeared finally...but
I don't know if you experience this problem but I have to login twice. First I put my username and pass, click log in, and nothing happens, get me to forum screen. Repeat that action again and everything is ok then.

Is there a way to show more than 5 latest/newest posts in thread when we want to give our answer? In this case I cannot see Denis' initial post.

In quick post, besides preview, I cannot see BBCodes. Is there a way to enable it?

Other things are ok and almost the same as in PunBB.

Edit: Is there a way to show some personal information only to registered users not to everyone (for ex. messaging info)?

Last edited by eR@SeR (2010-08-04 13:42)

TRUTH, FREEDOM, JUSTICE and FATHERLAND are the highest morale values which human is born, lives and dies for!

#8 2010-08-04 18:16

Andrew

eR@SeR wrote:

That problem disappeared finally...but
I don't know if you experience this problem but I have to login twice. First I put my username and pass, click log in, and nothing happens, get me to forum screen. Repeat that action again and everything is ok then.

Yes, unfortunately this seems to be a new problem with FluxBB. sad I just don't get it. Maybe it's due to some cookie-related browser settings (I have blocked 3rd party cookies, use EasyPrivacy blocklist etc.), but why then should it work on the 2nd try and not the 1st? roll

FWIW, I am a member of many other fora, many of which use phpbb etc., and haven't faced this issue yet anywhere (nor the previous one). So maybe it's a problem with the way this site is configured after all.

#9 2010-08-04 22:30

den4b
Administrator

I think your problem might come from strict domain binding and absolute forum address. By that, I mean that www.den4b.com/forum is not the same as den4b.com/forum when were are talking about sessions and cookies.

If you login from den4b.com, the login script will redirect you to the absolute address www.den4b.com - where you are not logged in because cookies do match the domain name. That's why it seems that you need to login for the second time, while you are actually logged in at the den4b.com but redirected to www.den4b.com.

#10 2010-08-05 10:29

eR@SeR

I think your problem might come from strict domain binding and absolute forum address. By that, I mean that www.den4b.com/forum is not the same as den4b.com/forum when were are talking about sessions and cookies.

You are definitely right. In my browser stands den4b.com. It redirects me to www.den4b.com and then I can log in. I can live with it smile

TRUTH, FREEDOM, JUSTICE and FATHERLAND are the highest morale values which human is born, lives and dies for!

Board footer