#1 2017-10-20 22:49

Andrew

[Bug Report] Presets in subdirs are ignored

Tested using portable ReNamer Lite 6.7.0.7 Beta. To replicate bug, create Presets dir as follows:

ReNamer\Presets
         │   \
         │  Root_Preset.rnp
         │
         └──────Subdir
                 \
                Subdir_Preset.rnp

Since there are only 2 presets, ReNamer Lite (with its limit of 5) should have no problem with these. However it seems the program gets its count wrong if subdirs of the Presets dir exist.

• Presets > Load > Load > Subdir menu is grayed out:
    Presets_Subdir_Error_1.png

• All subdir presets are grayed out in Presets Manager:
    Presets_Subdir_Error_2.png

• Attempting to do anything (load/delete/edit etc.) with a subdir preset throws this error:
    Presets_Subdir_Error_3.png

---

Edit: Well, crap. Looks like I completely missed the following line in the changelog:

History.txt wrote:

6.7.0.3 Beta (2017-06-10)
* Support directory structures for presets (Pro version).

Given this, can you modify the error message to be a bit more descriptive? How about clearly mentioning the Presets subdir restriction (that it's a Pro-only feature) in the error dialog? I'd also suggest that instead of displaying and disabling the subdir menus (under Presets > Load) which can confuse Lite version users, you should display all the subdir presets but throw the same modified error dialog when any of them are selected. That will be far clearer than leaving Lite version users wondering why the subdir menus are grayed out, and also provide one more way of prompting them about the Pro version.

Last edited by Andrew (2017-10-20 23:03)

#2 2017-10-22 13:07

Andrew

Re: [Bug Report] Presets in subdirs are ignored

Denis, hope you read my edit instead of just reading the initial (erroneous) 'bug' report by me.

#3 2017-11-01 10:11

den4b
Administrator

Given this, can you modify the error message to be a bit more descriptive? How about clearly mentioning the Presets subdir restriction (that it's a Pro-only feature) in the error dialog? I'd also suggest that instead of displaying and disabling the subdir menus (under Presets > Load) which can confuse Lite version users, you should display all the subdir presets but throw the same modified error dialog when any of them are selected. That will be far clearer than leaving Lite version users wondering why the subdir menus are grayed out, and also provide one more way of prompting them about the Pro version.

I'm not sure if re-enabling currently disabled presets will make Lite users happier, because they will see a nag message shown every time they click on a locked preset item, possibly even by accident.

The feature comparison page already lists presets directory as a limited feature:
https://www.den4b.com/compare/renamer

Perhaps a hint in the Save Preset and Presets Manager dialogs about these limitations will be more appropriate?

#4 2017-11-01 13:16

Andrew

den4b wrote:

Perhaps a hint in the Save Preset and Presets Manager dialogs about these limitations will be more appropriate?

That would be fine I guess, but the "This version is limited to a maximum of 5 presets" error shown on trying to use a subdir preset with ReNamer Lite is clearly misleading. IMO that error dialog needs to be different for i) >5 presets with Lite > ii) even 1 subdir preset with Lite.

#5 2017-11-05 18:44

den4b
Administrator

Andrew wrote:

"This version is limited to a maximum of 5 presets" error shown on trying to use a subdir preset with ReNamer Lite is clearly misleading

Absolutely!

Save Dialog and Presets Manager will display an appropriate message in the next development version.

Board footer