#1 2017-12-27 13:22

dragontology

ReNamer loads short 8.3 filenames instead of full names

renamer window

I have the latest ReNamer (actually I had an old version, but updated and the new one does the same thing) and when I open a file full of .mkv videos to clean up the names, I get what you should see above.

I realise I can just clear the whole name, insert <<show name>> S01E, serialize, insert space, go to TVDb, and type in the episodes (I insert space so I don't have to do it on each one)... but the filenames contain the episode names. If they didn't I'd just do that, and have before. Now I'm wondering why ReNamer is failing to get the actual file names... which have a bunch of brackets, parenthesis, periods... first port of call is always the CleanUp function.

#2 2017-12-29 21:14

den4b
Administrator

Re: ReNamer loads short 8.3 filenames instead of full names

I'm wondering why ReNamer is failing to get the actual file names... which have a bunch of brackets, parenthesis, periods...

So what do the actual names look like? Can you provide a screenshot of how they look in Windows Explorer? Which method do you use for adding these files to ReNamer?

The paths are passed to ReNamer via standard Windows mechanisms. It looks like Windows is passing legacy short names, known as 8.3 filenames. Perhaps your filenames contain invalid characters.

#3 2018-01-02 10:55

dragontology

I think I sorted it. If the files are in use, or if the total file path is longer than X characters (256?), Windows truncates them — poorly.

So the solution is to close the program they're in and rename the folder they're in. If they're in 2 subfolders with absurdly long names, that'll do it. Just close the program hooking them (download manager in my case), rename the parent folder to a single letter, and if it's 2 deep, rename the other parent folder as well. Then if you open them in ReNamer, they'll read right. Because if you just copy them out of that folder, Windows will give them the names ReNamer sees in the screenshot above.

Sorry for the confusion and for implying your program was the cause. Once I saw Windows doing it as well, I realised the problem was in how Windows handles its files. The 256 character path limit is old, though, and I thought they got rid of it ages ago.

There were no invalid characters, just a lot of brackets, parenthesis, dots, and underscores.

#4 2018-01-02 16:54

den4b
Administrator

That sounds like Windows alright...

Indeed, 256 character path limit is still applicable even in Windows 10 – shockingly.

#5 2018-03-12 16:51

antalk

ευχαριστώ

Board footer