#1 2019-10-31 14:53

Knocks

"You are launching ReNamer for the first time" and Storage.ini

I have edited the path in Storage.ini to c:\Program Files (x86)\Renamer per Denis' advice, and now ReNamer gives me a Terms of Use popup and the "You are launching ReNamer for the first time" message every time I run the app.  How do I fix this?

#2 2019-10-31 15:42

den4b
Administrator

Re: "You are launching ReNamer for the first time" and Storage.ini

You won't be able to store ReNamer's settings in a system/protected location, such as "C:\Program Files". Only administrators have the write permission in that location, and for a good reason.

You need to pick a user writeable location such as your user profile directory.

For example, you can use the following path:

%USERPROFILE%\ReNamer

#3 2019-10-31 15:56

Knocks

Thanks.  Seems like this shouldn't be something the user has to tinker with.  Please consider changing the default storage location to AppData\Roaming or something in line with current best practices for Windows apps (but definitely something other than Documents).

#4 2019-11-01 13:20

Stefan

Knocks wrote:

Seems like this shouldn't be something the user has to tinker with.

There are different kind of user, you know?

Users should know a bit of how the operation system WindowsTM works (google for Vista UAC).
Some users want to have the settings in program folder for easy back up and copy to another pc, some just want to let it work magically.
But it is not always that good if a program is too smart and want to do the work for the user (see WindowsTM or e.g. Word)
The user can choose to store in a WindowsTM protected folder like ProgramFiles (and grant write access for USERS),
or use an un-protected location out side, for example in "C:\Tools" or "C:\PortableApps"

But there should be an information, in e.g. Help>About, where the current used ini is located.
And maybe there should be an option in Settings to easy choose the ini location (Program folder or AppData)

EDIT:

I have re-read: there is already a "Storage.ini" see http://www.den4b.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=9190#p9190

den4b wrote:

http://www.den4b.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=9433#p9433
SETTINGS  managed by ReNamer are stored in a dynamically determined location.
For the PORTABLE version they are stored in the same location as "ReNamer.exe".
For the INSTALLER version a user profile directory is used by default,
or whatever is configured in the "Storage.ini" file (or creating it if it doesn't exist),
located in the same folder as "ReNamer.exe".

Storage.ini example lines:
#USER#
C:\Data\ReNamer\
or even
%APPDATA%\ReNamer\ (environment variables are resolved since v6.4).
%USERPROFILE%\ReNamer

C:\Program Files (x86)\ReNamer\ (needs manually modified write access for users)

More at http://www.den4b.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=8788#p8788

Last edited by Stefan (2019-11-01 13:34)

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#5 2019-11-01 13:59

Knocks

You're going the wrong way about it.  You should assume that the baseline user is dumb and does not want to deal with operating system quirks.  THEN you should give advanced users the ability to tweak advanced settings.  That's the standard for UX in consumer software.  Do you think most iOS or Android users want to deal with system files and OS settings?  No, they just want to install/uninstall the app and get on with their lives.

In any case, all of this is irrelevant, because all I'm asking for is to move the settings files out of the Documents folder.  Documents is for documents, not for random app settings.  The entire user base of ReNamer would benefit from changing the defaults from Documents to something else.

Last edited by Knocks (2019-11-01 14:00)

#6 2019-11-04 15:59

den4b
Administrator

Knocks wrote:

You should assume that the baseline user is dumb and does not want to deal with operating system quirks.  THEN you should give advanced users the ability to tweak advanced settings.  That's the standard for UX in consumer software.  Do you think most iOS or Android users want to deal with system files and OS settings?  No, they just want to install/uninstall the app and get on with their lives.

Well, that is exactly what it does now. The installer doesn't ask you to deal with any operating system quirks, it just installs the product with a couple of clicks. All you are left to do is to run it. Common users don't need to tweak anything, but advanced users have an option of tweaking a few things, such as the storage path for settings and presets.

Knocks wrote:

In any case, all of this is irrelevant, because all I'm asking for is to move the settings files out of the Documents folder.  Documents is for documents, not for random app settings.  The entire user base of ReNamer would benefit from changing the defaults from Documents to something else.

That is more to the point. It is a valid suggestion and it is already on the list. However, there are reasons, both technical and legacy, why settings are stored in this most abused location labelled "My Documents". You will probably find that half of installed applications on most computers will store their application data in that same location, and that is no coincidence.

So, long story short... It will be addressed in the future, but in the meantime you can simply adjust the path via Storage.ini.

#7 2019-11-04 17:31

Knocks

Denis, thanks for your thoughtful response.  Hopefully we can get the legacy issues addressed via a script during the update process or something similar.

I have just checked my Documents folder, and there actually aren't that much random stuff in there anymore, compared to a few years ago.  There still are a few "old-school" programs that use that location, like CD burning apps and Viber. lol

Board footer