#11 2019-11-20 14:45

Rnmr

Re: Rearrange a word order that targets a specific word(s) in a list...

It has been about 2 weeks since my last post and still no response.
I'm thinking maybe what I wrote came off as more of a summary or
general point about a particular issue rather than a need for help.

So, I will clarify the 'need for help' by highlighting the part(s) that
directly or strongly speak to it.

Rnmr wrote:

When I change the pattern to something different for a new problem, it does not work because I
don't understand what the exact logic is.

Or, maybe it does work and there is just something I'm not seeing?

Rnmr wrote:

some issues are a little more complex and time consuming to state out, but can you at least try?

Or, is this the type of thing that is better addressed through the paid version support email?

Again, thanks for your time and patience.

Last edited by Rnmr (2019-11-20 15:03)

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
- RWE

#12 2019-11-20 17:02

den4b
Administrator

Rnmr wrote:

I'm thinking maybe what I wrote came off as more of a summary or general point about a particular issue rather than a need for help.

Yes, it did seem more like "closing comments", rather than "guys, I'm still completely lost and need help" wink

Rnmr wrote:

is this the type of thing that is better addressed through the paid version support email?

The use of the forum is generally preferred over the email for several reasons, for example, it contributes to the community and the community has a chance to contribute back. However, some cases are better suited for email support, for example, when the query is urgent or if it contains sensitive information.

This discussion fits well on the forum.

Now, back to the "need help" part...

We have an online documentation for each rule and some examples, I resume you have already looked at it?
https://www.den4b.com/wiki/ReNamer:Rules:Rearrange

Is there anything particular that could be improved to explain the logic better?

#13 2019-11-29 03:38

Rnmr

Yes, I had already seen the wiki, but I had a Eureka moment soon after your last post.
So, here is an expanded layperson's explanation of 'Basic usage- example 5' from the wiki examples:

Example:

Input:
VID Titlewrd1 Titlewrd2 [id1 id2 id3] _ (kwrd1, kwrd2, kwrd3 - act1, act2, act3) [2019-10-07_20.01.30].mkv

'left to right' rearrangement of words
$4 $8 $3 $6 $7 $2
----------------------------
----------------------------

Rearrange

Split Using:
Exact pattern of Delimiters

' | | | | | | | ' (without quote marks)

New Pattern

$1 $4 $8 $3 $6 $7 $2 $5 $9

Output:
VID [id1 (kwrd1, Titlewrd2 id3] _ Titlewrd1 id2 kwrd2, kwrd3 - act1, act2, act3) [2019-10-07_20.01.30].mkv

What's that? Why would anybody want to rearrange it that way? roll
That particular order is just used to show that no matter what you throw at it, it should work tongue

Explanation: 'skip extension' checked

In this example, a space is used as the delimeter to represent
separate words (anything with a space before and after is a
word, therefore, ' - ', ' car ', ' [red, ', etc. are words (without quote marks).

0.) The only words being changed here (represented with a dollar sign symbol before the
    position number of the word): $4 $8 $3 $6 $7 $2

1.) To create the pattern or order you want, you have to include 'all' words 'in that range':
    $1 and $5 are the only missing words in that range. All or some of those missing words
    will be reordered by the rearrangement but are not 'directly' part of it. Their placement
    remains what it already was before the change. All the changes begin immediately 'after' $1,
    so $1 stays at the beginning. And because $5 is not included anywhere after the changes begin,
    the changes occur before it which places it at the end of the sequence in a new position.

- therefore: $1 $4 $8 $3 $6 $7 $2 $5

2.) You don't need to include 'all the rest' of the word numbers to have them represented,
     however, you do need to include the 'first word number of what is left' after the above order.

- now you get: $1 $4 $8 $3 $6 $7 $2 $5 $9
    with '$9' representing all the words of what follows in their original order.

3.) Count the number of spaces between the word numbers in the 'new pattern'

- $1s$4s$8s$3s$6s$7s$2s$5s$9
    if you count the spaces (as 's') you get eight of them.

4.) Using the 'exact pattern of delimeters' field, create eight spaces divided with the bar symbol to
    the right of the field or on the keyboard.

- you get ' | | | | | | | ' (without quote marks)

5.) press 'Save Rule' button and inspect 'preview' before rename.

Maybe someday I'll return to this thread and do the same for some of the other wiki examples.

Last edited by Rnmr (2019-11-30 12:04)

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
- RWE

Board footer