#1 2020-04-13 16:40

Grendizerus

Check multiple times the same process then loop

Hello,
I'm a 3d artist and I use Shutter to shut down my PC after a render is completed.

Usually I set up Shutter this way:
Check if the renderer process is running every 500 seconds. Usually, renderer.exe will run over several hours to render an animation.
If renderer.exe stops running, this means the render is finished, so it triggers the action to shut down the PC.

But since some months I use a new way of rendering: distributed rendering over the newtork. It does not work the same way. Renderer.exe will start, will render only one frame of the animation, then it will shut down, and after some minutes, it will start again to render the following frame.

So the usual method does not work.
What I would need now is the following setup:
Check if renderer.exe is running. If it's not running : Check counter = 1.
Wait 5mn
Check if renderer.exe is running. If it's not running : Check counter = 2.
Wait 5mn
Repeat untill Check counter = 10
If renderer.exe is still not running : shut down the PC
If renderer.exe is running : Check counter = 0. Wait 30mn. Start the whole preset again.

So I was wondering if there is a way to do this using Shutter?

Thanks

See you,
Gz

#2 2020-04-13 23:23

den4b
Administrator

Re: Check multiple times the same process then loop

I can think of a couple of potential solutions...

1. Have you tried using CPU Usage event with something like "below 10% for 10 minutes" ?

2. We could add a duration parameter to the Process event, so that you could potentially configure it as "check every 1 second for 10 minutes".

Would any of these options help you?

#3 2020-04-14 11:04

Grendizerus

Yes perhaps the CPU usage event is the solution.

And yes also the second event could be useful : something like "check every 2 minutes for 15 minutes". Is this kind of event available in the current version?

#4 2020-04-14 14:06

den4b
Administrator

Grendizerus wrote:

something like "check every 2 minutes for 15 minutes". Is this kind of event available in the current version?

Not yet, but it could be implemented quite quickly. Especially if it can be of benefit to a wider group of users, as a general solution.

#5 2020-04-15 13:29

Grendizerus

The CPU usage event with the "average" check box seems to be the solution. It also allows me to stop monitoring the render engine processes.

Board footer