#1 2021-01-26 21:29

Lismurn

Renaming photos and videos

Hi,
I am new to ReNamer having previously used software which only worked with JPEG. I have looked at the documentation but am somewhat confused so I decided to ask for help.
I want to rename my photos and videos eg, "2007 Holiday in Scotland 1" identifying when and where the photo was taken the number sequence being added to all the photos within the folder which, for one holiday currently stands at 1500.
I have successfully been able to rename the files but am unable to also number them. When numbering can I start at "1" or do I need to allow for the maximum number. Also I would want a space between the description and the number.
I have looked at other renaming software but most of them are too complicated for what I want.

Last edited by Lismurn (2021-01-26 21:30)

#2 2021-01-27 11:17

den4b
Administrator

Re: Renaming photos and videos

You can insert an incremental index via the Serialize rule. You can specify where to insert it, what index to start with and much more.

To insert a space you can use the Insert rule, probably before the Serialize rule, depending on your requirements and use.

It is difficult to provide further help without having any concrete examples. Perhaps you could provide a few examples, including the original path and the desired target path?

#3 2021-01-27 21:15

Lismurn

Hi,
I have attached a JPEG of a few photo names, JPEG and MP4, which are part of a much larger folder of photos taken while on holiday in Switzerland.
All the other data will remain apart from the filename. I want to rename each file as follows with each file showing if it is a JPEG or MP4:-

2019 Holiday Switzerland(space)1.JPEG
2019 Holiday Switzerland(space)2.MP4
2019 Holiday Switzerland(space)3. JPEG etc

Capture-270121_20210127-1203.jpg

#4 2021-01-28 09:46

den4b
Administrator

That can be achieved with the following two renaming rules:

1) Insert: Insert "2019 Holiday Switzerland " replacing current name (skip extension)
2) Serialize: Incremental from 1 repeat 1 step 1 as Suffix (skip extension)

Here is a quick demo:

mini_renamer-swiss-holidays-sequence-for-lismurn.png

#5 2021-01-29 13:22

Lismurn

Thank you so much for your help thus far. I am definitely making progress and have renamed quite a number of photo folders. Renamer really is a super programme for what I want.
However, I have a problem and despite sorting in the folder before I import to ReNamer I cannot seem to get it right. I have several folders where the photos were taken by several cameras and when I import the folder to ReNamer the photos are sorted by camera rather than by date and time.
I can find nothing in Renamer which would help, perhaps I am looking in the wrong place.

I also want to change the taken date on some photos but I understand this is not possible in ReNamer, is this correct? I have used EXIF Date Changer for this in the past.

#6 2021-02-01 21:08

den4b
Administrator

Lismurn wrote:

I have several folders where the photos were taken by several cameras and when I import the folder to ReNamer the photos are sorted by camera rather than by date and time.

You can preserve the sorting order of files, but you need to add the files directly, not by adding the folders which contain those files. Once added to ReNamer, you can also sort them by any of the available columns in ReNamer. If you might want to try sorting by the "Exif Date" column to get the desired result.

Lismurn wrote:

I also want to change the taken date on some photos but I understand this is not possible in ReNamer, is this correct? I have used EXIF Date Changer for this in the past.

Changing the content of the files, including meta tags, is not supported in ReNamer. You'll need a different kind of tool for such manipulations.

#7 2022-02-08 22:36

Jabaz

Good day,
How to change video date in Pc.
The date is the same for all 50 videos, they were shot for several days and months.
Date of recording, video recording.  I'm learning to work with the program
thank you for the advice

Board footer