#1 2021-09-16 04:38

narayan

Feature request: Export+import all settings (back up+restore)

Hi!

Currently, the user does not have an easy method to backup and restore ReNamer configuration data.

The user has to launch the Preset Manager.
Then he has to note down the path in the header of that dialog
This path is very long, but he is not allowed to copy it.
So he has to struggle to remember and enter it in his file explorer laboriously. This process is error-prone.
Then he has to select all *.rnp files and copy them elsewhere.

Even after this hard work, he cannot back up the settings provided in the "Settings" dialog box.

IMHO we should have a menu command to Export+import all settings.
This should include not only the presets, but all other settings as well in the F8 ("Settings") dialog.

This would be useful to back up the settings for safety (in case the laptop crashes, or the OS has to be re-installed/upgraded).
It can also be used to copy the settings to another computer.

The backup information should be neatly packed in the form of a single file/folder.
There should be an option to create it in any desired location (path).

Thanks!

Last edited by narayan (2021-09-16 04:45)

#2 2021-09-16 09:17

Stefan

Re: Feature request: Export+import all settings (back up+restore)

In the "Presets"-menu there is a "Browse"-item which you can use to open the presets-folder with WinExplorer.
Next you can just copy or zip that folder for backup.

For the "Settings" you can just copy the "Settings.ini" from the ReNamer folder.
Unfortunately there is no hint (or even browse button) in the settings or the help-about dialog where this ini is located.

Furthermore that settings could have be relocated by use of a "Storage.ini" and must not be necessarily being in the ReNamer folder.

- - -

For to backup I would take care on the following items:
Presets -folder
Scripts -folder
Translits -folder
Settings.ini
Storage.ini
and all other files the user may have modified or downloaded on his own.

See also the somehow hidden article "Application Data Storage"
which even can not be found by searching for the term "backup"
https://www.den4b.com/wiki/Application_Data_Storage

HTH

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#3 2021-09-16 11:58

narayan

Stefan wrote:

For to backup I would take care on the following items:
Presets -folder
Scripts -folder
Translits -folder
Settings.ini
Storage.ini
and all other files the user may have modified or downloaded on his own.

So do I take it that Denis has planned to back up everything that modified the plain vanilla installation at one go?
That's wonderful!
Because without this feature, the user has to locate too many folders scattered across the PC and copy them.
Worse, to restore he has to remember where to place each of those items!
This is virtually impossible!

And yes, all these topics should be added to the help content.

BTW the help-to-pdf conversion feature is not working temporarily.

Last edited by narayan (2021-09-16 12:02)

#4 2021-09-19 10:22

den4b
Administrator

narayan wrote:

So do I take it that Denis has planned to back up everything that modified the plain vanilla installation at one go?

All user settings and presets are located in one folder, so it is relatively easy to back it up and restore, assuming that the user actually knows where that one folder is located. The part about knowing the right location seems to be the biggest challenge.

The Application Data Storage article was meant to help the user find that location, but finding that article is yet another challenge.

I agree with having all important paths listed (or accessible) somewhere within the application, for example, in the About dialog. Is the About dialog the best place for it? Any other suggestions?

narayan wrote:

BTW the help-to-pdf conversion feature is not working temporarily.

This is a long standing problem with the MediaWiki software. The PDF rendering engine and the service were abruptly discontinued a number of years ago, and to this date there is still no viable alternative available. You can read more about it here: PDF Functionality in MediaWiki.

In the meantime, the up-to-date documentation is available only in a form of online wiki.

Stefan wrote:

See also the somehow hidden article "Application Data Storage", which even can not be found by searching for the term "backup".

I've included the "backup" term in the article, so now it will appear in the search results.

#5 2021-09-20 11:50

Stefan

den4b > "I've included the "backup" term in the article"
Thank you, works now if I search the wiki for "backup" this article is listed.

den4b > "Is the About dialog the best place for it? Any other suggestions?"
I know that place in About from Total Commander,

but a nice place for ReNamer would be a new tab "My Settings" in the Settings -dialog:
----------------------------------
Version: <like in About>         [?]
Date:
Application folder: C:\path to\xxx [Open]
Settings.ini: [Open]
Storage.ini: [Open]
Presets folder: C:\path to\xxx [Open]
----------------------------------

MessageBox behind the [?]-Button:
Note:
Your Settings are presented here in read-only mode, you can not change the location from here.
On default, in portable mode, all files (factory setting and modified) are in the App folder.
In case of using the Installer, or if you have no write access to that App folder, the modified files are redirected to your AppData folder.
By using the "Storage.ini" you may have redirected the location for the modified files yourself, even for portable mode.
See our wiki for more https://www.den4b.com/wiki/Application_Data_Storage

or smtg like that big_smile

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

Board footer