#1 2021-11-14 06:07

Rnmr

Moving Files While Deleting Subfolders?

Is there a way to use ReNamer to move all files in any parent's subfolders
to the parent folder, while also removing all the subfolders?

Last edited by Rnmr (2021-11-14 19:37)

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
- RWE

#2 2021-11-14 11:13

den4b
Administrator

Re: Moving Files While Deleting Subfolders?

Rnmr wrote:

Is their a way to use ReNamer to move all files in any parent's subfolders to the parent folder, while also removing all the subfolders?

The first part is easy. Simply insert "..\" in front of your filenames to move them to the parent folder.

The second part is tricky. There is no built-in option for removing empty folders. You could do it with a Pascal Script rule, but it would need to be executed separately, after you rename the files.

You can also search online, there are a few different options available, for example:
https://superuser.com/questions/39674/r … in-windows
https://windowsreport.com/remove-empty- … indows-10/
https://alternativeto.net/software/empyfoldernuker/

#3 2021-11-15 18:24

Rnmr

den4b wrote:

The first part is easy. Simply insert "..\" in front of your filenames to move them to the parent folder.

I haven't tested it yet, but thanks for the tip.

den4b wrote:

The second part is tricky. There is no built-in option for removing empty folders. You could do it with a Pascal Script rule, but it would need to be executed separately, after you rename the files.

Can you show me a pascal script template for it? I assume it would have a section in the script to edit for the dir I am currently working with.

Yes, 'Puran Utilities' suite has a 'delete empty folders' utility that I like.
I would prefer an all-in-one solution like the pascal script if it isn't too complex to get into.

Thanks

Last edited by Rnmr (2021-11-15 18:26)

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
- RWE

#4 2021-11-20 21:52

Rnmr

den4b wrote:

You could do it with a Pascal Script rule

Rnmr wrote:

Can you show me a pascal script template for it? I assume it would have a section in the script to edit for the dir I am currently working with.....if it isn't too complex to get into?

Any thoughts on this other than Pascal script basics in the wiki?
* I meant to say, in the above post: "a single program solution" rather than, an all-in-one solution with the Pascal script; as the
the whole process would involve two parts.

Should I look into Bulk Rename Utility's "move/copy path" function or would the whole process of that result in about the same amount of
parts/steps?

Last edited by Rnmr (2021-11-20 22:09)

- RWE

Board footer