#1 2022-11-12 01:45

jogiwer

To millisecond or not ...

some history

Older pictures didn't have such thing as millisecond in there tags. But hardware is evoling. And so there are more and more jpg with this information.

By now I did not change my renaming scheme. But with the first pictures of a friend where the filenames wheren't just numbered but also had the timestamp in there name I had to use these nameparts in some cases.

There are also pictures with no numbering at all but just the timestamp in there name. And with some not-jpg-files the meta-info was harder to get I took these parts.

What I found out

Scanning the options for the auto-preview behaviour I saw the formatstring for date-values and the possibility to specify milliseconds by 'zzz'.

What did happen
  1. '.000' got appended

2. this was also done for pictures without this info in 'SubSecTime*'

3. for jpg-files with these tags (SubSecTime) the ':EXIF_Date:' won't show these values

What's next?

I would like the milliseconds added to the resulting string only if they were set in the picture. So it wouldn't help to add this functionalty to ':EXIF_Date:' because the format pattern will be applied in every case.

As ReNamer can access the metatags I would hope that the missing values are also reachable. So here a dedicated tag-name would come in handy!

#2 2022-12-10 22:29

den4b
Administrator

Re: To millisecond or not ...

We'll have to wait until one of mainstream EXIF libraries is properly integrated into ReNamer.

Board footer