#1 2008-01-14 14:41

zaptrisek

Restart frozen process

Good day.
I have problem with configuration shutter.
I  selected an event:when process stop and action reboot. for my process  komuni.
But after reboot is no selected any action an pc reboot again.
Its posible in comand line or other way to set this one process at each time windows start?
Its very good program. I think is very specific reqeust but i apologize if i waste your time.

#2 2008-01-16 13:32

den4b
Administrator

Re: Restart frozen process

Good day, zaptrisek smile

"Process Stops" event is the only event that doesn't (and cannot) remember its parameter. This is because of the way this event works. Processes are identified by their unique Process ID (PID), instead of the name. PID's are assigned dynamically by the operating system, when process is started. This makes it possible to have several instances of the same application running at the same time, but watch only selected 1 with Shutter.

You can use the "Window Closes" instead, which will check if a window with the specified caption exists. It has a simple textual parameter, thus, can be easily remembered by the program.

#3 2008-01-17 11:14

zaptrisek

thank for answer
I am little dummy for that . what is "window closes"? its java script? and which program.
komuni still running but when freezing i need to restart PC. window of komuni doesnt close. its not respoding.

#4 2008-01-17 12:15

Stefan

zaptrisek wrote:

... what is "window closes"?

http://www.den4b.com/projects.php    ===>  Shutter  2.90

Shutter is a multifunctional shutdown utility, . . .
Events: Countdown, On Time, Winamp Stops, Low CPU Usage, User Inactive, Battery Low, Window Closes,
Process Stops, Ping Stops, File Size Limit; Actions: Shutdown, Reboot, LogOff, Lock Workstation, Sleep,
Hibernate, Monitor Turn Off, Mute/UnMute Master Volume, Hang Up, Alarm; . . .

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#5 2008-01-19 13:56

den4b
Administrator

"Window Closes" is another event in Shutter, like "Process Stops", but instead of watching if process is still alive, it watches if window with the specified title sill exists.

#6 2008-01-22 23:25

zaptrisek

o.k.  but it s because freezing background program and it is not closing. that not work. i tested this, shutter know freezing only in proces watch. it would be good action to close specific program or restart programs when proces stop without windows restarting.
Thank you.

#7 2008-01-25 15:20

den4b
Administrator

So you need to detect if process got frozen, and when it happens - terminate that process, restart it, and continue watching, correct?

The only issue I see here is how to detect when the process gets frozen. You said that "Process Stops" event actually does detect it, and "Windows Stops" event doesn't detect it, which is strange. "Process Stops" event checks the list of running processes, and if it doesn't find one it is looking for - it assumes that the specified process has stopped. If the process is no longer running - then its associated windows would be closed as well, which contradicts to what you said.

What do you mean by saying "program freezes" ? Does it close it-self? Or does it's window gets title like "... (Not Responding)" ?

#8 2008-01-27 09:16

zaptrisek

good day
your understood are very well.
yes the second option is right   window gets title like "... (Not Responding)"

#9 2008-01-30 00:36

den4b
Administrator

But if you say that title changes, then this should trigger the "Windows Closes" event.

For example: If the normal title of the window is "Program X", and when it hangs the title changes to "Program X (Not Responding)" - that means that the "Windows Closes" event should work for you.

Try setting up Shutter to wait until "Program X" windows closes, i.e. it will not be found once its title changes.

Board footer