#1 2006-06-22 16:10

madeinlisboa

Context menu

Hi,

i've just registered, because I think that there is a much simpler way to write the context menu and avoid the "not so pratical" default behavior in the settings.

But first let me go to the "Add Folders" dialog. The "Add Files from Folders" should have a "Include from subfolders" instead of "Include subfolders" check box.
The "Add Folders as Files" tab should be named "Add only folder names" and the checkbox should read "Add all subfolders names".

The context menu should work for both folders and files and have 2 options: "Rename files names" and "Rename folders names". If the shift key is pressed before the right-click the options should be: "Rename files names (include subfolders)" and "Rename folders names (include subfolders)". I don't know if this possible to code, but it's an idea.

Chears
Carlos

#2 2006-06-23 12:34

den4b
Administrator

Re: Context menu

Hi Carlos smile

madeinlisboa wrote:

The "Add Files from Folders" should have a "Include from subfolders" instead of "Include subfolders" check box.

I've used "Include subfolders" because of the nature of the process.. since you are scanning folder for files - you may include subfolders in that process. I think "Include subfolders" is more appropriate wink

madeinlisboa wrote:

The "Add Folders as Files" tab should be named "Add only folder names" and the checkbox should read "Add all subfolders names".

Thats a tricky one.. I don't think any of those are good: "Add Folders as Files" or "Add only folder names". And I can't think of anything else that can describe this functionality better. I would prefer to leave the current one for now...

madeinlisboa wrote:

The context menu should work for both folders and files and have 2 options: "Rename files names" and "Rename folders names". If the shift key is pressed before the right-click the options should be: "Rename files names (include subfolders)" and "Rename folders names (include subfolders)". I don't know if this possible to code, but it's an idea.

No, the shift+right-click is not really possible, unless hacking it and writing a separate dll, which will be spying on all the key presses. But that will kill half of the purpose of the ReNamer being a standalone application. And sort of the same problem is for adding files, because Windows launches a new instance of ReNamer for each added item (file/folder), and within ReNamer i detect if an instance already opened then I sent the files/folders to already opened one. It's ok for folders, since you rarely add more than 10 folders, but for files it's not ok at all - since users may add 1000's of files via the context menu. There is a another way for handling this, which will also require a separate dll... and here we come to the "separate dll" again.

Denis.

#3 2006-06-24 11:33

madeinlisboa

That?s ok. It still is a great piece of software notwhitstanding.

Congratulations!

#4 2006-06-24 19:25

LostHere

How about "Add folders only"? big_smile

As for the context menu, there's always an option to add more than one entry, like having one entry for each of the different ways for adding folders/files.  To avoid a long list, could try a submenu as well (most compression programs like 7-zip, winrar, allow this).

#5 2006-06-26 11:33

den4b
Administrator

I think the "submenu" thing will also need a special handler (probably a separate dll). And I really don't want to mess it up for this matter, since this matter is not really a very functional one. I think the default behaviour should work fine wink  You can change it whenever you need, and then use one of the alternatives to context menu: drag&drop, copy&paste.

Board footer