#1 2006-07-13 16:18

azazell0

MD4 + a few other things

No, I don't want you to add every single hash calculating algorithm out there, however, MD4 is essential because it's the checksum of choice of the eDonkey/eMule file sharing network.

I like the progress indicator, and the compare to next file option is very convenient. A few minor usability enhancement ideas:

- the possibility to compare a checksum calculated "right now" to a checksum pasted from elsewhere (either by making the Hash text field editable and/or even better, by automatically recognizing a checksum present on the clipboard) (edit: sorry for this one, I'm stupid)
- maybe something needs to be done with checking the compare to next box AND modifying the hash algorithm, because it doesn't make sense to compare the results of two different algorithms
- after compare, the info box should display the path&file names of the two files compared.

Hope you like these ideas. smile

#2 2006-07-14 10:31

den4b
Administrator

Re: MD4 + a few other things

azazell0 wrote:

MD4 is essential because it's the checksum of choice of the eDonkey/eMule file sharing network.

eDonkey/eMule do not use standard MD4, they use another hashing algorithm which is based on MD4, but not MD4 it-self. It is a very hard work to implement their hashing algorithm from scratch, including the fact that there is very little documentation on it. I'm afraid I have to say "no" to this one, unless you find a ready-to-use implementation for Delphi, which I will be able to incorporate...

azazell0 wrote:

maybe something needs to be done with checking the compare to next box AND modifying the hash algorithm, because it doesn't make sense to compare the results of two different algorithms

But user have to check the "compare to next" box him-self, so why would you check it if you are going to change the hashing algorithm of the next file :conf:  Am I missing something?

azazell0 wrote:

after compare, the info box should display the path and file names of the two files compared.

Will do! smile

#3 2006-07-14 20:56

azazell0

Denis Kozlov wrote:

eDonkey/eMule do not use standard MD4, they use another hashing algorithm which is based on MD4, but not MD4 it-self.

What? Are you sure on this one? Because MD4 ALWAYS returns the correct edonkey/emule file id for me... Maybe your information's outdated (perhaps they used non-standard md4 once, but decided to move on?)

Denis Kozlov wrote:
azazell0 wrote:

maybe something needs to be done with checking the compare to next box AND modifying the hash algorithm, because it doesn't make sense to compare the results of two different algorithms

But user have to check the "compare to next" box him-self, so why would you check it if you are going to change the hashing algorithm of the next file :conf:  Am I missing something?

Accidentally, perhaps. And idiot-proofness is a very important thing smile

I'll answer to your other post someday tomorrow.

#4 2006-07-17 13:58

den4b
Administrator

azazell0 wrote:

What? Are you sure on this one? Because MD4 ALWAYS returns the correct edonkey/emule file id for me... Maybe your information's outdated (perhaps they used non-standard md4 once, but decided to move on?)

It looks like you are right, and I'm wrong yikes I blame the Internet, sometimes it is helpful, but sometimes - it is very misleading :dead: Anyway, I've added this idea to my TODO list! It's a big task, so I can't say now when it will be ready...

#5 2006-07-19 12:15

azazell0_v2

Thanks! smile

(I thought I knew my old password, but it turns out I did not, and there's no password recovery feature in this forum. That's the reason for the new nickname.)

Board footer