#1 2009-03-12 04:44

dadgummitt

Hooker and Lenovo's hooklib.dll

Why would this file appear in my computer:

lenovo\energycut\hooklib.dll

Has someone surreptitiously installed a key logger in my computer or is Lenovo using Mr. Kozlov's products for a more benign purpose?

#2 2009-03-12 17:30

Andrew

Re: Hooker and Lenovo's hooklib.dll

Searching on Google gives me tons of results, but hardly any in English though. neutral

Few things to consider:

1) Is it malware? Have you run a thorough scan on your system?

2) If not malware, why would Lenovo want to install a keylogger on its users' PCs?

3) Is it even the same DLL that is part of Denis' Hooker program? Maybe you can send the file to Denis so that he can check and confirm. Might just be a case of 2 unrelated files having a similar name.

#3 2009-03-12 20:22

dadgummitt

I ran SpyCop and this file came back as authored by Denis Kozlov. I can't think of any reason why Lenovo would use this program so I am thinking perhaps someone stuck it there to hide it or I am getting a false report from SpyCop.

#4 2009-03-13 17:26

Andrew

SpyCop's database may only have a single mention of the file that leads to Hooker, but that in itself is not conclusive in any way. As I said, maybe Denis would like to take a look at it and comment. After all, if someone hasn't infected your computer and Lenovo is indeed using it for some reason, Denis might well have some objections to his program being installed by a big corporation on thousands of machines, without him getting a piece of the pie (unless he does indeed have some sort of deal in place to license it...)

#5 2009-03-14 16:12

den4b
Administrator

One thing for sure: I'm defiantly not getting a bit of that Lenovo's pie! As Andrew said wink

But I think that SpyCop's database is simply misidentifying Lenovo's hooklib.dll with mine.

To be sure, can you email it to me, or upload it somewhere and post a link here?

#6 2009-03-23 07:09

dadgummitt

Okay, I will email it to you. Right now I am so frustrated with Vista and Lenovo that I am ready to complete what I started a few years ago, a complete independence from Microsoft. I did it with software and now it is time to do it with the operating system.

Board footer