#1 2010-03-04 18:11

shrapnel09

If Idle Time = Run Time, Don't Trigger

Howdy,

I'm interested in using Shutter to trigger a restart for a public kiosk terminal. I'm curious if there's a way to set it so that it restarts after 20 minutes of being idle UNLESS the event has been running for 20 minutes.

Scenario1: Somebody walks up to a computer, starts using it. Leaves programs open and files on desktop. After 20 minutes of being idle, the computer prompts that it will restart and restarts.

Perfect!

Scenario2: Following Scenario1, the computer reboots. When Windows starts up again, the monitor starts counting that the computer has been idle for 20 minutes. It prompts that it will reboot and reboots. If nobody shows up for an hour, that is 3 unneeded reboots.

Not sure if this can be done in Shutter.

Is there an event that could be used like Used Time? Run Time - Idle Time = Use Time.

If (Used Time > 0) and (Idle Time = 20 min) Then
Event

Thanks!

#2 2010-03-23 19:23

den4b
Administrator

Re: If Idle Time = Run Time, Don't Trigger

It is not possible with just using Shutter. You basically need to launch Shutter only when user starts using it. Why don't you present some sort of a startup screen with just one button "Start using the KIOSK". Once use clicks it you can automatically launch Shutter.

P.S. You can also prevent computer from automatically logging in by setting a simple password to the user account. Shutter start only once the user is logged in.

#3 2010-03-23 22:39

shrapnel09

Re: If Idle Time = Run Time, Don't Trigger

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm at a public University library, so the password option isn't really an option. I'm working on a perl script to launch the screensaver and then launch Shutter. Then I have Shutter configured to watch that the *.scr process is killed AND idle time = 20 min. I think that should work, but I'm still testing it.

Thanks for the great software.

Board footer