#1 2006-08-07 16:05

KG Old Wolf

Changing "Add Files" location

ReNamer is a great tool and has helped save a LOT of time! smile

I am working with hundreds of directories and sub-directories (music files by artist).  ReNamer is using one sub-directory as a default and when I want to add files from another location I have to go up in the directory structure and then down in another area.  I know there is an easier way.  It would be GREAT if ReNamer simply stored the last sub-directory I use and brings me back to that location when I want to add more files.

I must be doing something wrong because everything else is so intuitive.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Old Wolf

#2 2006-08-07 17:57

dloneranger

Re: Changing "Add Files" location

Hmm, mine does remember which folder I picked last (unless I close renamer and open it again)
But I usually just drag and drop from explorer anyhow

Do you have the latest version V4.10 or V4.12Beta ?

#3 2006-08-07 19:15

den4b
Administrator

Hmm... strange, isn't? Because it does remember the last folder in the Browse dialog, unless you restart ReNamer.

KG Old Wolf, maybe you are talking about some other dialog?

#4 2006-08-07 19:52

KG Old Wolf

First, thanks for the prompt replies.

I believe I have stated the issue correctly.  For instance, right now I am correcting file names in the Classical section and I am toggling between Windows Explorer (to see if any changes need to be made) and ReNamer (when changes are desired).  When I do wish to make changes to a sub-directory's contents (for instance JS Bach) I will click the "add files" button on the ReNamer interface.  That invariably brings up some static default directory (Fleetwood Mac in the ROCK - PROGRESSIVE sub-directory).  I can't seem to change that default sub-directory (it did change once but I forgot what I did, now I am stuck at Fleetwood Mac).

I am using the latest download version.  I have tried a number of setting changes to no avail.  It isn't the end of the world if I can't fix this because CLASSICAL is my last major group to change.  Yet, it would be nice to have the product working like it apparently does for you people!

Thanks again, the product is awesome in its ease and simplicity.  I don't say that lightly; my day job is as a Director of I/T!  (so it is also a little embarrassing that I haven't figured this out!)

Best to you both,
Ken

#5 2006-08-07 21:20

den4b
Administrator

You missed the most important detail in your first post: I will click the "add files" button. There are many dialogs in ReNamer that are for browsing through files/folders, and both of us (me and dloneranger) thought you were talking about "Add Folder" dialog, since you mentioned folders in your first post.

I was able to reproduce your problem, the last used folder was not remembered in the "Add Files" dialog. I broke that feature while working on V4, because I had to upgrade most of the components to support Unicode filenames.

Anyway, here it is fixed: ReNamerBeta.zip

By the way, there are much more convenient ways of adding files: drag&drop, copy&paste.

#6 2006-08-07 23:44

KG Old Wolf

That fixed the problem!  (I can't believe I didn't try to simply "drag and drop")

Thanks for the help

#7 2006-08-08 01:55

dloneranger

Yeah that caught me out as well big_smile though I tried 'add files' and that worked fine using V4.12f
(as you update this program so often, I download the latest beta when the filedate changes)

Bug reporting is a lot harder than you'd expect - I have a friend who does it for a living
They'll go through every possible option in your program and give reproducable steps to show you what the problem is - they charge a fortune, but have a lot of customers

I was talking to him about how they work and was suprised that they'll spend (on average) 3 hours on each dialog box roll

[edited for spelling - my english sucks and I am english <sigh>]

Last edited by dloneranger (2006-08-08 02:04)

#8 2006-08-08 10:48

den4b
Administrator

Yeah, it is pretty amazing how these guys work! I would never have enough patience for that!!

Here is another question for him (just interesting to know):

How long would it take to bug-test one of the versions of Windows (e.g. Windows XP), from bottom-up, entirely?
And how many thousands/millions of bugs would they find, on average? ... wink

#9 2006-08-08 15:43

dloneranger

den4b wrote:

How long would it take to bug-test one of the versions of Windows (e.g. Windows XP), from bottom-up, entirely?
And how many thousands/millions of bugs would they find, on average? ... wink

He's still laughing big_smile

#10 2006-08-08 18:39

KG Old Wolf

What's that?  The latest variant of "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?"

I suspect the answer would exceed the highest calculated prime number known to man!

cool

(yeah, I love Microsoft too!)

KG Old Wolf

Board footer