#1 2006-10-08 05:03

chopstks

Add "Program Idle" Event?

We have people in the office holding up (idle) programs.  Is it possible to add the Event "Program Idle" to Shutter?  So that when people are idle on a certain program, the timer starts and then Action.  I am now using User Inactive but that would only execute "Close Window that matches Title" (closes the program) when the mouse is not moving.  If people are still using the mouse, nothing happens and the idle program still got hold up.

#2 2006-10-08 18:18

den4b
Administrator

Re: Add "Program Idle" Event?

Do you mean "Idle" as "CPU Usage around 0%" or as "No mouse and keyboard activity" for that particular application? I'm currently working on a new event called "Process CPU Usage", which will watch a CPU Usage of a chosen process, and if it drops below chosen level - selected Action will be executed. That event might be exactly what you are looking for.

User Inactive event watches any mouse and keyboard activity made by user (doesn't matter in which application), and if there is no activity for a specified period of time - selected Action will get executed. I think you have misinterpreted the "Close Window that matches Title" option, its not a parameter to an event, it's simply an optional action which will get executed with the main action that you select in the main window (e.g. Shutdown, Reboot, Log Off, etc..).

What exactly are you trying to do? Do you want to close the programs that hasn't been used? Or do you want Log Off when user is inactive? Or something else perhaps?

#3 2006-10-09 18:02

chopstks

"Do you mean "Idle" as "CPU Usage around 0%" or as "No mouse and keyboard activity" for that particular application? I'm currently working on a new event called "Process CPU Usage", which will watch a CPU Usage of a chosen process, and if it drops below chosen level - selected Action will be executed. That event might be exactly what you are looking for."

That is exactly what I mean.  I just want to watch a particular application and logoff that application only when it has been idle for a certain time.  I don't need to logoff, reboot or shutdown the computer so that users can actually work on other applications.

#4 2006-10-09 19:19

den4b
Administrator

Does that application do CPU intensive tasks? So whenever user is using that application CPU will actually be busy? I'm asking that because some applications might not even use 1% of the CPU power when they are active (for example if user types in notepad).

Can you tell me more details? What kind of application is it? Or is it a "company secret" wink
Is that "CPU Idle" or "Keyboard and Mouse Idle" you are looking for?

#5 2006-10-09 23:41

chopstks

What I want is CPU around 0% (idle) on a particular application NOT "No mouse and keyboard activity".  Then Action execute to be  End that particular application only NOT Logoff computer, shutdown or reboot.  Also, an Administrator password for Shutter configurations would be great.

I checked, the CPU could be 4 to over 21% depending on what people are doing.  It is a 8-user-licence price quoting application to share among 18 brokers.  The application is installed on a file server and people use it over the network.

Last edited by chopstks (2006-10-10 21:31)

#6 2006-10-18 18:28

den4b
Administrator

I will be adding that event in near future, once I get some free time. The interface of Shutter will be changing.

Board footer