#1 2011-09-28 14:32

Irzichek

Ignore errors when used command line

When I start the program from a command line and there is an error, the dialogue window with the message opens. Please, realise possibility of switching-off of the given message at start from a command line.

Thanks!

#2 2011-09-28 19:39

den4b
Administrator

Re: Ignore errors when used command line

Hi.

If everything would go fine you shouldn't see any kind of messages. However, if an error occurs, it will be displayed.

What kind of error are you talking about?

#3 2011-09-29 07:42

Irzichek

Hello!

In a certain folder files of the big size are periodically copied. It is necessary to rename them, and then to copy in other folder (at first to copy, and then it is impossible to rename). As files of the big size, the probability of is high that at least 1 file at the moment of renaming will continue to be copied, i.e. to rename it it will be impossible. All listed actions are carried out by the program of synchronization started under the system account. The same program starts also a command on renaming of files. Thus the program "renamer" is started in an environment with an absent desktop (? I do not know what term to use), i.e. the dialogue window with an error message (impossibility to rename a file) doesn't appear, and in memory each time is formed new process "renamer".

In other words: if I use GUI also error messages it is logical to deduce through GUI. If I start the program from a command line also messages I want to receive in the form of the text in shell

Thanx!

#4 2011-09-30 07:48

Andrew

Denis, if it's possible for you to implement, I guess new command-line options such as the following might help:

/quiet: Only display errors, no warnings or informational alerts

/silent: Display absolutely no alerts (warning: program may silently fail, so if this is used, responsibility for checking renaming results rests with the user!)

#5 2017-01-04 15:12

StefanR

Hello!

I have the same problem. Is there any solution for this? I made a new job in the task scheduler. It was a batch job. It repeats every 5 minutes. In the first command line there is a rename job for renaming PDF Files. In the second line i have a command to copy and remove the files. My problem is if one of this PDF files is blocked because somebody openend one of the PDF's the renamer doesn't stop and my batch job stops at this point. So i need a option that let your program ignore those errors. Is there any solution?

Kind regards
Stefan

Last edited by StefanR (2017-01-04 15:47)

#6 2017-01-09 11:20

StefanR

Hello!

Just one more question. Is there a chance that this suggested command line options will be integrated? Is there any other solution for my problem?
Please help!

Kind Regards
Stefan

#7 2017-01-10 22:57

den4b
Administrator

It looks like this feature request has gone unnoticed.

Thanks for bringing it up. It got bumped up in priority.

As a temporary workaround, you can try using Task Scheduler to limit the maximum length of time a task is allowed to be running.

#8 2017-01-12 11:25

StefanR

Hello Den!

Thanks for reply. Thank you for your Workaround but i think it will not help me. I have this batch-file which will be started. So in my case only the batch job will be stopped. The next lines in my file will be ignored. Next time when the task scheduler start this job a new task from the renamer will be started and the old one will not be killed.

Can you tell me how long it will take to integred this feature in a future update? Thanks for your support!

#9 2017-01-16 20:26

den4b
Administrator

This feature was been added in v6.6.0.5 Beta:

* Added "/silent" switch to ignore warnings and errors during command line renaming.
* Set non-zero exit code when command line renaming fails in silent mode.

It passed basic testing but more testing is needed, so please test thoroughly.

#10 2017-01-18 15:07

StefanR

Hello Den!

Thank you for this fast implement. It works!!! Can you please report when it is integrated to the stable version? One more THANK YOU for this nice program and your fast delivery of this solution!

Board footer