#1 2013-05-19 01:17

kkkkman

"Window closes" event not working if window's title changes

In summary, it seems as if the action is happening for the event "when the window closes or its title changes" instead of "when the window closes".

I tried to use Shutter to hybernate my laptop once Digital Photo Professional is done converting a pile of pictures from Raw to Jpg.

I'm using the "When window closes" option, but it does not seem to work.

The window's title shows the progress of the converted pictures, which keeps changing . So when I set it up it says "Digital Photo Professional - [3/210]", but by the time I set up the rule, the name of the (same) window has changed to "Digital Photo Professional - [4/210]", and the laptop goes to hybernation (or runs whatever the actions are).

The workaround I'm using is to use the "window opens" event and edit the title "Digital Photo Professional - [3/210]" to say "Digital Photo Professional - [209/210]". Then let a message pop up for a minute to let time for the last picture to convert and then enforce the hybernation.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature request, but it seems as if "monitoring window titles" and "monitoring the window itself" could be two different events?

In any case thank you for making such a fexible tool! I'm impressed : )

Many thanks

#2 2013-05-21 21:58

den4b
Administrator

Re: "Window closes" event not working if window's title changes

You are absolutely right, it is in fact "when the window title changes" but it was named "when the window closes" because it was easier for users to understand and worked as advertised in 99% of the cases.

The reason why the tile is being monitored because it is very tricky to monitor the actual window, because windows are identified by so called "handles" which are assigned dynamically by the OS and can get changed when some of the window properties change. Also, monitoring specific handles won't make it possible to save the settings for later, as the window handle always changes.

By the way, you can use wildcards in that event to match against a pattern of window title.

Board footer