#1 2009-03-16 18:13

traycerb

Continues event monitoring for ALL logic

Shutter's great; it's solving my long-standing sleep/hibernate issues.  Well worth the donation (small it may seem because the dollar's still being crushed by the euro sad ).

Also 2 suggestions on the v3.00 beta 20:

1) Have a way to dismiss an event by (any) mouse action

Why?  I use Shutter to sleep my computer when idle.  If so, moving my mouse in response to the warning should wave off the event (since it shows I'm not idle).  Yes, I can always press the Restart button, but sometimes I'm on a 2nd monitor in a different room and the pop-up is on the first and I can't see it.  And hopefully, the mouse action could be set to Restart the events.

2).  Have a condition like ALL, except the events don't reset (but are still monitored)

Harder to explain.  Suppose I want to sleep when BOTH inactive and low CPU.  Here's a picture:
shutterImage.png

Here, the inactivity condition is triggered, but since the CPU one is not, the inactivity timer will reset.

I would propose that (in this example) the Inactivity should be kept triggered (but still monitoring if user is no longer idle), while waiting for the CPU condition to trigger.

Currently, the user could have been inactive for hours, but if the CPU condition is not met in exactly the Triggered/Reset pending time frame, the trigger/reset cycle will keep going, and Sleep will never occur.

Increasing the ["Reset interval for events with logic "ALL"] option doesn't solve the problem either.  In that case, it simply ignores all user activity during that window!

I guess the summary version is that the triggered state should not preclude monitoring of the original condition.  I'm no longer a programmer, but this sounds like the harder of the 2 suggestions to implement.

Anyway, it's still a great program: clean, reliable, and professional, just like Renamer.

#2 2009-04-16 15:02

den4b
Administrator

Re: Continues event monitoring for ALL logic

1) This scenario is only valid when you use "User Inactive" event, otherwise, it wouldn't make sense. Actions are executed when specific condition of events is reached, which will follow with deactivation of all events and execution of all actions. Implementing this feature seamlessly is very tricky and probably not going to be worth the effort.

2) I will think about this one, but no promises. It is hard to implement it due to the current design of the event system in Shutter.

#3 2009-04-17 01:07

traycerb

Thanks for the reply.  Like I said, I find the program to be quite useful as it is, so these were just suggestions.

If I had to choose, I would have preferred having option #1 work, but if it's infeasible, well, then I guess it's infeasible. <shrug>

keep up the good work.

#4 2013-05-30 11:17

den4b
Administrator

For the reference, this feature was implemented in Shutter 3.00 Beta 40.

Board footer