#1 2014-03-22 02:49

steven527

Cant stop shutter from rebooting my computer - Help!

I need guidance please.

I installed shutter because I was interested in the ability to remotely reboot my computer via a web link.  I was naively experimenting with the functions one of which is to reboot the computer and I pressed the start button (I forget which button) and now I can't stop shutter from rebooting my computer.  The moment my computer reboots shutter starts and it reboots. 

I uninstalled shutter (which ends the reboot cycle) and re-installed it thinking it would not remember the command to reboot but it still does.  I tried to uninstall it and remove all occurrences of it in the registry (this ends the cycle as well).  I removed most of the registry entries but some (2-3) remained as windows would not let me remove them.  However, once I re-install shutter it once again it goes into the cycle of rebooting my computer.

How do I get out of this cycle?  I want to have a CLEAN re-install of shutter without any reboot commands present to cause me grief. Where can I go remove the persistent command to reboot the computer so that I can avoid the endless reboot cycle?  Is it in the registry?  Is there a hidden key or config file that I can search for and alter or delete?

Please help.

Thank you

#2 2014-03-22 11:57

den4b
Administrator

Re: Cant stop shutter from rebooting my computer - Help!

Hello,

Shutter and all other products here are portable by design and do not require installation or uninstallation. All of the settings and user data are stored in the application's folder. The use of registry is only needed for the installer (provided for convenience) and options such as automatically starting program at Windows logon.

You need to locate the folder where you have installed Shutter, for example: C:\Program Files\Shutter

There you should find a configuration file called Shutter.ini and Presets folder. They are responsible for automatically starting those preconfigured actions. Delete all of the content from Shutter's installation folder and you'll get a clean install.

Unistallation process only removes files which were installed originaly, leaving all of user created content untouched (presets and configuration).

#3 2014-03-22 14:45

steven527

I found the offending file here:

C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Shutter\Presets

#4 2014-03-22 15:43

den4b
Administrator

Yes, you are right. Those settings could be stored in VirtualStore if you are running Windows Vista/7/8 and have installed Shutter in the protected system folder such as Program Files.

Compatibility article may come in handy for future reference:
http://www.den4b.com/wiki/Compatibility

#5 2014-03-23 04:01

Andrew

Denis, how about including a reset option in all your apps that will delete all presets/rules and the INI file? Shouldn't be easy to access (perhaps in the about dialog or a command line option or something) and should prompt with a warning, but might come in handy for just such situations or simply if someone's looking to start afresh. Many people have no idea about VirtualStore and since the app obviously knows where its settings are stored it can nuke them easily if required.

#6 2014-03-23 04:17

steven527

Additionally have the uninstaller remove all remnants of the files installed by the installer or generated by the application.

#7 2014-03-24 18:05

den4b
Administrator

I agree, the data cleanup procedure should be implemented as a command line parameter and should be presented as an option during uninstallation.

Added to the list.

Board footer