#11 2009-02-24 13:37

den4b
Administrator

Re: Using Email DateSent meta tag for Outlook

Well, I didn't find a full specification, but I found bits an pieces over the net.

The best piece was this one: Outlook MSG file format at FileFormat.Info

After that, the "trial and error" method did the rest! wink

#12 2009-02-24 15:56

Andrew

Thanks, I'll check it out. smile

#13 2009-09-11 12:52

Ecifircas

Very nice that you added this functionality, yet it doesn't work in a few cases:

- For internal mail (within our office) the "Sender" is often shown as a pathname (I guess this is the pathname under wich this user is saved).
  --> Ofcource this can be filtered out with just 1 extra rule.

- For internal mail the date never shows up.
  --> No way to get around this ...

Anyway, thanks for the effort!  big_smile

#14 2010-06-25 15:57

Ecifircas

Hello,

I've been testing the latest version of the program and apparantly now for internal mails it does give the date and names. Great big_smile

For all recieved mails it works perfectly. Only for outgoing mails (mails sent by me) it doesn't seem to find the :datesent:.

I guess the date must be saved in a different location in the file. I dont know if it would be possible to retrieve those dates as well?

#15 2013-12-02 00:10

mcginley50

Ecifircas wrote:

Hello,

I've been testing the latest version of the program and apparantly now for internal mails it does give the date and names. Great big_smile

For all recieved mails it works perfectly. Only for outgoing mails (mails sent by me) it doesn't seem to find the :datesent:.

I guess the date must be saved in a different location in the file. I dont know if it would be possible to retrieve those dates as well?

Did you ever find a solution to the outgoing emails datesent meta tag problem? I am having the same issue myself.

Other than that the program is perfect.

#16 2013-12-02 23:04

den4b
Administrator

I've got good news guys!

I revisited the issue again today and this time I found the formal specification of Outlook's MSG format on Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN): [MS-OXMSG]: Outlook Item (.msg) File Format. With that I managed to find exactly what's needed for extracting the date from the MSG format natively and have already implemented this feature in ReNamer.

Relevant changes in v5.73.2 Beta:

* Ability to extract date from all Outlook MSG files, including from Sent Items for which it was not possible previously;
* Outlook_DateSent meta tag now uses native Outlook dates instead of the "Date" email header value which is not present in some files;
* Added Outlook_DateHeader meta tag to keep the old behaviour of the Outlook_DateSent tag, extracting the "Date" email header value;
* Added Outlook_Body meta tag to extract email body, it may not be practical for direct use in filename but can be useful in PascalScript;
* Outlook meta tags now work on Unicode filenames;

Now you can extract the date from all your Outlook MSG files.

Try it from here: ReNamer Beta.

#17 2013-12-02 23:13

mcginley50

You are an absolute legend. Thanks again Denis. smile

#18 2014-09-02 21:33

jjantell

The msg and eml meta tags are extremely useful but would it be possible to have a recipient tag as well as a sender tag?

#19 2014-09-18 10:11

den4b
Administrator

jjantell wrote:

The msg and eml meta tags are extremely useful but would it be possible to have a recipient tag as well as a sender tag?

Your suggestion has been added to the list of future enhancements. Thank you.

#20 2016-09-13 16:23

den4b
Administrator

jjantell wrote:

More meta tags were added in ReNamer 6.6.0.1 Beta:
* Added Email_* meta tags: MessageID, SenderName, SenderEmail, Recipients, Recipient, RecipientName, RecipientEmail.
* Added Outlook_* meta tags: SenderName, SenderEmail, Recipients, Recipient, RecipientName, RecipientEmail.

Board footer