#1 2014-10-27 05:11

IzzyB

Sequence Number from CreateTimeStamp -- TimeStamp precision?

Briefly:

Could you comment on the timestamp resolution of the Created column in Renamer's Files pane.

In more detail:

My task is to assign sequence numbers in relation to file creation timestamps.  It's straightforward -- drop 'em in, sort on the column and assign a sequence number.

But.. I'm concerned about what happens when successive files are created very rapidly - quite possibly more often than once a second. In those cases the Files pane display shows identical timestamps (showing one second resolution for me).

I'm inclined to think the underlying sorted values are likely to be something other than the formatted/displayed value and thus the sort may be more granular than the display.

So.. can you comment on the actual timestamp resolution underlying that display column sort?

fwiw: The MSDN File Times page says file times are 64 bit integers reflecting 100 nanosecond periods.
ref: //msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724290(v=vs.85).aspx

Context: Win7 Pro 64 + NTFS + Renamer 5.70

And, of course.. major kudos on Renamer - it makes the rest of them look like pikers.

tia

#2 2014-10-27 10:47

den4b
Administrator

Re: Sequence Number from CreateTimeStamp -- TimeStamp precision?

ReNamer's date resolution is down to milliseconds, that is 1/1000 of a second.

Both "Created" and "Modified" columns internally store dates with milliseconds and use them for comparison.

To actually see it in operation you can add "zzz" to the Meta Tags Date Format and insert one of those dates as a meta tag.

#3 2014-11-02 17:01

IzzyB

Re: Sequence Number from CreateTimeStamp -- TimeStamp precision?

Thanks for the reply.

I was aware of the "zzz" formatting option.  Before posting the question, I couldn't find a statement correlating the meta tag precision to the files pane precision -- so I couldn't make the jump to a conclusion.

Subsequently, I've done the experiment you suggested and found it illustrative.

Thanks again

Board footer