#1 2015-02-22 03:57

sklein

Filter setting "Add folders as files" doesn't stick

Hi. First, ReNamer is great. Much better than some other utilities I had previously tried. Thanks.

One issue -- if I check/enable the filter setting "Add folders as files" and then click Save, then exit the program, when I launch the program again, that setting is no longer enabled.

I've looked at the contents of the .ini file, and on exit AddFoldersAsFiles is set to 1, but after launch and then exit, it has been reset to 0. I even tried making the .ini file readonly (which does keep the value set to 1), but the checkbox in the Filter Settings dialog is always cleared on program startup.

Thoughts?

--Steve

#2 2015-02-22 13:32

den4b
Administrator

Re: Filter setting "Add folders as files" doesn't stick

Hi Steve,

Are you loading any presets on startup?

Filter settings can be saved inside presets and will override any defaults settings when they are loaded. Check the default preset file too, by navigating to Presets folder and opening preset file with Notepad.

Which version of ReNamer are you using? Please try the latest if it's not up to date.

#3 2015-02-22 21:52

sklein

That's it!

I am using version 6.1 but also using a preset -- I didn't think to look in the preset for settings. When I changed the AddFoldersAsFiles setting in the preset it worked perfectly (is this documented somewhere?).

Thanks again for your work and the quick response.

#4 2015-02-22 22:19

den4b
Administrator

When you are saving a preset, there is an option "Save Filter Settings with the Preset".
> ReNamer:Using_presets#Save_a_preset

You can remove filter settings from a preset by re-saving it.

#5 2015-02-22 22:23

sklein

Got it. Thanks.

#6 2015-02-25 17:50

Andrew

Denis, this gives me an idea. You know how the program displays icons for the active filter settings in the status bar? How about modifying those icons based on the loaded preset too? To differentiate between filter settings set in the program by default and those set via a loaded preset, perhaps the same icon can be highlighted differently, or have a different color or something.

Also, I believe I mentioned it earlier that having the tooltip for each of those icons explain what each icon means would be much more useful than having a single common tooltip that just says "Active filter settings".

Last edited by Andrew (2015-02-26 20:32)

#7 2015-02-25 18:16

sklein

I'd vote for Andrew's suggestion of more descriptive (individual) tooltips on the status bar icons. You could then consider differentiating the tooltip text to show the source of the setting.

Since the preset appears to override the global/default value, it would also make sense to have an icon appear grayed out when it is set globally but cleared by the preset.

So each tooltip would consist of the setting name, plus something like one of the following:

(Global)
(Preset)
(Global, cleared by Preset)   <-- the grayed out case

#8 2015-02-25 19:45

sklein

I think this should be part of this same thread -- I can understand a preset overriding the global filter settings, but I'm not clear why that override propagates back to the globals. When I do the following:

1. Run ReNamer.exe
2. Bring up Filter Settings dialog, enable a setting, save.
3. Exit ReNamer.
4. Launch ReNamer via a preset that DOESN'T have the filter setting in step 2 enabled.
5. Exit ReNamer.
6. Run ReNamer.exe

The result is that the filter setting from step 2 is now disabled (in the program and in Settings.ini)

I would think that a preset should override the global settings for a single execution of the program, but not change the global settings.

#9 2015-02-26 20:32

Andrew

sklein wrote:

I would think that a preset should override the global settings for a single execution of the program, but not change the global settings.

Confirmed, and I agree.

#10 2015-03-02 13:56

den4b
Administrator

I agree.

It was also brought up in the past:
Filemask is always remembered - option to disable that?

This was on the list for a couple of years now and just got bumped up in priority.

I liked how the same concept was implemented in MS Word, where Page Setup options are session-wide, while a "Default..." button saves them as default settings for future sessions. I think this could be implemented is a similar fashion in ReNamer.

MS-Word-Save-Default-Settings.png

Board footer