#1 2015-07-29 23:03

zips

Lite and Pro now?

I have Renamer 5.70 which has no limitations.

I also donated this to software because I felt like it not because you asked me or I had to.

Then I wanted to check if it has new updates, I was actually going to donate again because free software.

Then I realized the author has added limitations to the free version and selling a Pro license for 17 dollars.

Guess I'll stick to 5.70.

Quoting from www.den4b.com/?x=license

Default license which allows you to download, use and distribute products

So basically I have a default license, which means I can distribute the old version and let people use unlimited amount of rules for free smile

#2 2015-07-30 11:18

den4b
Administrator

Re: Lite and Pro now?

Thank you for your support.

Sticking to v5.70 is absolutely your choice and you are free to do that. It is worth noting that it was released in early 2013, more than 2 years ago, so you will be missing a lot of latest features. And before jumping to the distribution, make sure you familiarize yourself with the licensing terms.

That version was released with the following terms, as stated in the About dialog:

This application can be used and distributed ONLY for non-commercial purposes and with appropriate attributions.

For more information please read full license code:
Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial - No Derivative Works 3.0
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/

#3 2016-01-19 10:21

CEW4

Hi,

I have to agree - you probably have your reasons for the change, but from my point of view it robs me of options. I've been using ReNamer since v5 and today decided that it was definitly worth a contribution. I knew about the lite/pro change which was fine with me, because I intended to pay anayway. The problem is that, as I now read in the WiKi, each registration is only valid for a single machine. Although I'm a single user I'm working on a couple different machines and registering for all of them on the off chance that I might be needing ReNamer on any one of them is out of the question.

Therefore, I too have to stay on v5. Sorry about that.

Maybe an alternative would be to create a third version. Divide between

- "Lite": as current
- "Personal": all features, non-commercial use, but unlimited machines
- "Commercial": all features, commercial use, but licensed per-machine

How about that?

Regards

Last edited by CEW4 (2016-01-19 10:22)

#4 2016-01-20 22:21

den4b
Administrator

Hi,

CEW4 wrote:

Although I'm a single user I'm working on a couple different machines...

That is becoming a normal scenario, so I completely agree that licensing terms need to have a bit of flexibility for single users.

This should get addressed in the near future.

Thanks for your feedback!

Board footer