#1 2015-09-23 15:28

Enrico65

Progress indicator

Dear Denis,
        many thanks for your superb ReNamer software!

I noticed that, when we have to rename a large quantity of files, so that the renaming operation requires several minutes or more, we are left waiting on the standard hourglass. There is no indication of the operation progress.
It would be really appreciable to have a small window with something like:

- A renaming progress percentage bar
- A renamed files number / total number of files to be renamed / %
- Name of the current on progress file
- Elapsed time / expected remaining time
- Number of encountered errors.

Same situation occurs when you load on the program a very large amount of files or directories, or when you input a new renaming rule on those files/folders: hourglass and nothing more... You have no means to know if the PC got stuck or if the software is progressing.

If you avoided to introduce this control information because it would slow down the operation, showing it could be made optional under settings...

With most cordial regards,
                                                                                                          Enrico.

#2 2015-10-05 19:43

den4b
Administrator

Re: Progress indicator

Here is your previous request about the same feature: Renaming progress status.

This task has been on the list for a very long time, and probably will stay on the list for another while.

The implementation cost is just too high for rewriting the core functionality to work in a threaded manner, which is essentially required to be able to display a progress indicator independently of the main GUI thread.

#3 2015-10-06 22:25

Enrico65

Re: Progress indicator

Dear Denis,
         many thanks for your kind reply and Извините...

Of course I do not know the structure of your software, so my words are useless, but I thought that there was a pointer to the currently processed file (a FOR cycle index or something like that)...
You know the total number of files to be processed and you also know the value of that pointer: well, I supposed it was easy to simply print them in some corner, or at least to print the string of the currently processed filename, just to know that the program is not stuck...
That's it... From your words it's obvious that I am wrong.

With most cordial regards,
                                                                                                                                                                            Enrico.

Board footer