#1 2015-10-05 01:35

Ludo

Suspect Shutter Intitating Shutdown Command

Hi,

License: Pro
Version: 3.7
Deployed: 250 Machines

I suspect Shutter is not initiating or is but it not for what ever reason shutting down the PC. we have a inactivity timer for 48 Hours
this on the majority of machines is triggered over a weekend obviously a given user can be working over the weekend. I suspect that the machines are not shutting down and it is only speculation. As I have trouble with my weekly software/update deployment due to machines still running and logged on at my scheduled maintenance window, we just recently had a long weekend I rebooted my machine logged on andconfirmed shutter icon in system tray and locked machine ( no programs eg. outlook, word ..etc where running ) but my machine didn't shutdown.

my current SPR file on all machines is below:

[General]
Logic=0

[Event1]
ID=UserInactive
Config=TIME=48:00:00;

[Action1]
ID=Shutdown
Config=FORCE=True;

I'm going to attempt to track this by placing a run program action before the shutdown action which will  run a batch file that creates a file with a time and date and PCname to a specific location, this of course wont tell me if the force shutdown action tried to trigger but was stopped by the windows system for whatever reason.

My Question is:
1. with this current version is there anything I can check to see why a action was not performed, a log file maybe
2. since I'm running a batch file before the shutdown action is there anything that you suggest I catch ( I can do the coding ) to help diagnose why some machines are not shutting down, something else I will now plug into the batch file will be to list if shutter.exe is running in task manager.

#2 2015-10-05 14:51

den4b
Administrator

Re: Suspect Shutter Intitating Shutdown Command

Hi Ludo

Starting from Shutter 3.7 a new shutdown API is used on Windows XP and later, which allows capturing the name of application and a custom shutdown message in the system event log. The message should say "Planned shutdown by Shutter" if the shutdown was triggered by Shutter.

There are currently no known issues with shutdown routines, but perhaps you could try Shutter 3.6 which uses an older shutdown API on all platforms.

Ludo wrote:

with this current version is there anything I can check to see why a action was not performed, a log file maybe

Unfortunately there are no log files available. We have a feature request on the implementation list to add a column to actions table which will display the status of each action, including an error message if the action has failed. There is currently no estimated date for this feature.

Ludo wrote:

since I'm running a batch file before the shutdown action is there anything that you suggest I catch...

You could try issuing a shutdown command from inside the batch file, to see if it works when Shutter fails to shutdown the machine. For example: "shutdown -s -f -t 10 -d up:125:1".

Maybe inactivity timer gets reset by some other process or hardware. For example, it is not uncommon for mice to generate micro movements over time, especially when laser/sensor does not like the surface.

Something is either blocking Shutter from executing the shutdown action and for some reason it is not getting to a stage of existing it. Please post here the results of your experiments and perhaps we will be able to identify the cause through the process of elimination.

Last edited by den4b (2015-10-05 14:56)

#3 2015-10-06 23:16

Ludo

Hi,

thank you for your response, that makes it much easier I will do a Event log extraction for all machines , this is much easier.

No problem will be waiting for this update .

I think you could be right about the mouse movements , specifically for me I do noticed my mouse does do the micro movements from time to time.

Excellent once again thank you for your help, with this new information I will investigate further.

#4 2015-10-10 00:51

den4b
Administrator

Basic action status (started, failed, error) was added in Shutter v3.7.1 Beta.

Displaying detailed error messages is planned for future development.

Board footer