#1 2016-06-23 14:40

Andrew

[Suggestion] Show helpful hints whenever required and not only once

The empty rules area initially has a Click here to add a rule hint (which is actually a link to the Add Rule dialog). Similarly the files area has a Drag your files here hint. Once rules/files are added and then removed these hints aren't shown again till the program is restarted. It would be nice if the hints were redisplayed whenever the respective areas are empty.

Similarly, the PascalScript code template:

begin
  // Add your code here
  // Press Ctrl+Space for code completion
  // Hold Shift when loading a script to insert it inline
end.

could perhaps also be redisplayed if the editor area is empty or contains only whitespace, but only if the Add Rule dialog is closed and then reopened. (After all, we don't want the text to reappear as soon as we delete it to add our own code!)

#2 2016-06-26 01:30

den4b
Administrator

Re: [Suggestion] Show helpful hints whenever required and not only once

Hints over rules and files tables will become visible again if you click on "New Project" option from the main menu.

They resemble a common "Hint of the day" feature, which is usually shown only once on startup. Showing such hints in the middle of user's workflow may be disruptive. This is quite subjective, but it's safer not to show them too often. Same applies to PascalScript hints.

#3 2016-06-29 19:57

Andrew

Honestly I personally don't see how it could be disruptive. Everyone's long used by now to websites with input fields that display hint text inside which disappears when the user needs to enter something, but reappears if the user leaves the fields blank. Similarly the hints in Renamer's case would only reappear if the respective areas are left blank/empty by the user.

#4 2016-07-02 00:56

den4b
Administrator

In this instance we'll have to agree to disagree. smile

Nonetheless, your feedback and opinion are always appreciated.

#5 2016-07-02 15:50

Andrew

Thanks Denis, and it's fine since it's not a major issue anyway, and I never forget that it's always your decision after all on what you want to implement or ignore. Just want ReNamer to be the best it can be since it directly benefits me as an active user, plus I also go around promoting it every chance I get. smile

Last edited by Andrew (2016-07-02 15:51)

Board footer