#1 2016-06-14 12:14

saurabhdua

How to batch rename images using this Tool?

Hello Folks!

Have imported quite a large no. of .jpg images from my Smartphone to PC. Current format of imported images goes as---DSC001, 002...& alike!

For the very first time I would be using any Batch-renaming utility. Therefore, please suggest on how to make use of this Tool to accomplish the desired Objective?

Lastly, Won't it be Great to host a Video-tutorial on the Official webpage to walk through the process to the Ordinary users/novices?

Thank you.

#2 2016-06-14 21:41

den4b
Administrator

Re: How to batch rename images using this Tool?

Please suggest on how to make use of this Tool to accomplish the desired Objective?

So what is your objective? What are you trying to achieve by renaming your image files?

For example, many users would want to insert the date of when the each photo was taken and add some captions, like so:

renamer-photos-example.png

Also, you can check out the User Manual for more information:
http://www.den4b.com/wiki/ReNamer

Feel free to experiment.

#3 2016-06-15 08:11

saurabhdua

Dear Sir,

Ideally speaking, I would like to have a 'Preview' of the imported images on the left hand side, & would like to rename those simultaneously by punching-in the New file names against the relevant field.

Iam an Activist & therefore would always like to punch in 'Unique' names for each of the Captured Image.

Yes, I can access each of the file one-by-one using Windows Image Viewer, & then close & rename each of these....but isn't there a simpler way to do so? ..to have a preview on the left panel & a renaming option on the right panel?...or anything similar?

Thank you for your patience. :-)

#4 2016-06-15 11:18

Stefan

Hi saurabhdua.

One way would be:

- open Windows Image Viewer
- open ReNamer --- Add Rule "UserInput" (http://www.den4b.com/wiki/ReNamer:Rules:UserInput)

- Than do: for each file from Viewer, write wanted name into UserInput
Best rename in groups of small amount of files, to see first, how it works.

Read the  *WIKI* for HELP + MANUAL + Tips&Tricks.
If ReNamer had helped you, please *DONATE* to Denis or buy a PRO license. (Read *Lite vs Pro*)

#5 2016-06-15 18:42

kunkel321

What I've done in the past is create subfolders for the types of images
/Landscapes/
/people/
/Wallpapers/
etc. 
Then have 2 side by side Windows Explorer panes and drag-n-drop the images to the appropriate folder.
After that, use ReNamer to rename them as
<Folder Name><Increment><ext>
Then after renaming, drag them all back to the same folder and delete the subfolder...

Frankly though, it might be easier to just use Windows Explorer...  Get into 'Small Thumbnail' view mode, highlight a file, and press <F2>.  Type the new name and press <Tab> or <Enter>.  Use your arrows as needed.

#6 2016-06-16 14:17

saurabhdua

Hello again!

Please refer to the enclosed URL, & help decipher the reasons on why the Preview pane is not able to reveal the real image previews? Similarly, even if I change the "View" option to any of the listed entries such as---Tiles, Large Icons..etc. etc., the Image Preview is still showing up as the one portrayed against the attached screenshot.

Help will be sincerely appreciated. Thank you.

mini_clipimage.jpg

#7 2016-06-16 15:47

Andrew

Check the following option:

F8AnuIE.png

Or uncheck this one:

CFNzQhx.png

saurabhdua wrote:

Iam an Activist & therefore would always like to punch in 'Unique' names for each of the Captured Image.

Unless there's a pattern to the names you'd be better served by using almost any of the gazillion image viewers out there. Seriously, any good viewer will enable you to see and rename images in thumbnail view, or even view them fullscreen and rename using menu options or keyboard shortcuts. Or just use good ol' Windows/File Explorer in large thumbnails view or with the Preview pane enabled.

Last edited by Andrew (2016-06-16 15:55)

#8 2016-06-17 14:30

kunkel321

Andrew wrote:

[...] Unless there's a pattern to the names you'd be better served by using almost any of the gazillion image viewers out there. Seriously, any good viewer will enable you to see and rename images in thumbnail view, or even view them fullscreen and rename using menu options or keyboard shortcuts. Or just use good ol' Windows/File Explorer in large thumbnails view or with the Preview pane enabled.

As mentioned above, good old Windows Explorer would have to be the easiest, if each name is getting hand-typed anyway.  Here's a screenshoot of Win 7
d4BdNZE.jpg

If I type a name and hit <Tab> then the new name is saved and the next file is selected for renaming...

#9 2016-06-20 09:10

den4b
Administrator

I completely agree with Stefan, Andrew and kunkel321.

The task of renaming each image individually can be easily accomplished in the thumbnail view of Windows Explorer. ReNamer is designed for batch processing, where you would have clearly defined rules applied to a set of files, instead of applying them manually to every file.

#10 2016-06-25 11:40

saurabhdua

Hello Dear Friends!

I would like to convey my Heartiest Thanks for the above Support. & Iam very Sorry! for turning up with such a delay, were pre-occupied with certain other priorities.

Dear Andrew, Thank you so very much by guiding me precisely with the help of Screenshots. I followed the 2nd one & it did the trick!

My Heartfelt Blessings for all of you & I wish you all with the "Best of Luck" for the time to come.

Wonderful!

Board footer