#1 2016-07-26 13:33

Pretender451

Shutter Events disappeared as of today 20160726 and now "Terms" popup?

Hello,

Has this happened to anyone else today or recently?

Usually Shutter Lite starts up when i log in and starts my first Shutter Event of monitoring for a specific process. It's great and i will upgrade if i ever manage to go commercial.

As of today, 26th July 2016, the Events and Actions have disappeared, and there is a pop up asking for acceptance of terms and conditions. I have accepted these, as while i use Shutter Lite everyday, i am not using it commercially.

I rebuilt the Events and Actions but they disappeared again on reboot. Luckily i had saved them this time in Presets so could reload them without having to rebuild them. Unfortunately, manually loading them from Presets after logging in, means that it does not start automatically when i login and partially defeats the point of using Shutter Lite for me.

Could you please just me know if this is intentional or do i have a problem to resolve with my installation? I have not changed anything on my Windows 7 system in the meantime.

Many thanks for any engagement and all the best.

Last edited by Pretender451 (2016-07-26 13:34)

#2 2016-07-26 21:17

den4b
Administrator

Re: Shutter Events disappeared as of today 20160726 and now "Terms" popup?

Hello and Welcome!

This behavior is certainly not intentional.

Based on your description it seems that Shutter is unable to save its settings. This can be caused by changed in your system, most commonly by changes to User Account Control (UAC). If you haven't made any changes yourself, Windows updates or other software could have made some changes.

1) Have you used Installer or Portable version?
2) What is the full path of Shutter.exe file?
3) Do you see Shutter.ini file in the same folder as Shutter.exe?
4) If you find Shutter.ini, try deleting it (or moving it), does it get recreated after you launch and quit Shutter?

In the meantime, you can try using a Portable version in a new location where you defiantly have write permissions, e.g. Desktop, Your profile directory, etc.

#3 2016-07-27 11:18

Pretender451

Firstly, thanks for the fast and thoughtful reply, especially given that i'm using the Lite version. It's much appreciated.

Fortunately and bemusingly, the problem seemed to resolve itself after one more reboot. Maybe i did something different in the settings the second time but i was pretty methodical. And that does not explain why it happened in the first place. As you said, always stuff in the background even if you run a relatively tight ship.

1, hm, not sure, sorry.
2, not too keen on giving out paths publicly but as it's the default: C:\Program Files (x86)\Shutter
3, yes
4, i'll save that idea in case it happens again.

Thanks again for being there and for such a great product.

All the best.

Last edited by Pretender451 (2016-07-27 11:19)

#4 2016-07-29 12:16

den4b
Administrator

Looks like Windows just had a bad day, and a reboot is a common remedy to many problems in Windows wink

It was mostly likely to be a hiccup in VirtualStore path resolution, which is enforced by UAC. As a result, Shutter was unable to read it's configuration file.

For the reference: Compatibility#Windows_Vista_and_later

Board footer