#91 2009-08-02 14:31

narayan

Re: ReNamer: Making of new manual

By the time mediawiki plugins mature, we will be through with the ReNamer manual!  big_smile

#92 2009-08-13 17:22

krtek

OK, I've finished and cleaned up the so now called Script Cookbook section. Denis, thanks for help.
Sorry for a little mess in the history section, but having terrible double ear infection it took me a while to understand the importance of the ShowPreview button.

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#93 2009-08-16 15:36

narayan

I have added the text for SWAP rule, but some alignment+formatting issues remain.

* Text in tables must match (old name <-> new name must be in the same line).
* Tables to be centered.
* The settings are described in two separate lines. They should be indented.
* Could not find one image (meta tag-lightening symbol).

#94 2009-08-23 20:35

krtek

I've started to proofread the manual.

I've found that (ReNamer:Managing rules):

Removing (deleting) rules:
You can select multiple rules and then delete them at a time (press DEL).
Am I missing anything or that's just a mistake?

Editing rules:
There are two notable exceptions: The Translit and PascalScript rules are actually collections of individual rules. You have to select an individual Translit rule or Pascal script and edit it. So the above description does not apply to those rules. Click on the hyperlinks above to see how to edit these two rules.

Is this really any valuable differance to make user read so many text?
The main thing is that you edit the rules parameters in the right pane of Edit rule window. That's not different for neither Translit nor PascalScript.

Selecting rules:
Only one rule can be selected at a time.

You can select multiple rules and carry out certain actions on all these rules in one stroke.
That makes no sense. Which makes me think that the first one is just a mistake.

Last edited by krtek (2009-08-23 20:45)

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#95 2009-08-24 02:52

narayan

I will correct these points (where applicable).

More:
Renaming files:

The marked files are renamed according to the Path and New Path columns in the Files pane.
If your set of rules is not meant to move files from one folder to another, you can as well assume that files are renamed according to the Name and New Name columns of the Files pane.

Is it not in top-down order as listed in the pane?
Any column can be used to sort the files, which changes their listing order (and therefore the renaming order).

How can it be according to two different columns (unless we want to say "sort within sort"?)

#96 2009-08-24 07:53

krtek

narayan wrote:

How can it be according to two different columns (unless we want to say "sort within sort"?)

According to two different columns means:
rename Path to NewPath

The main mistake in your text was saying that renaming applies rules to the files. It is not like that. It is preview who applies rules.
If renaming would apply rules to the files you wouldn't be able to manually adjust filenames.
Furthermore, if the autopreview is off and you made a preview and then add a thousand of rules but you won't do a preview again, these rules won't be applied to the files. You will get the result as you see it in the Files pane. And thanks Denis for that. smile

narayan wrote:

Is it not in top-down order as listed in the pane?

You might be right that we should make it clear that renaming goes from the top to the bottom of the files pane.

Last edited by krtek (2009-08-24 08:09)

#97 2009-08-24 14:48

krtek

narayan,
We will need a new picture of Preset Manager, and a picture of Append preset from the Preset Manager. For now I just wrote '''Append''' button.
All in the ReNamer:Using presets.

#98 2009-08-24 14:54

narayan

OK.

I am waiting for the Rearrange rule to settle. Then I will replace the screenshots for ALL the rules (so that the left panel is correctly shown in all rules).

BTW thanks for the clarity. I was not aware that in the matter of rules, WYSIWYG.
A very thoughtful interlock, Denis!

Last edited by narayan (2009-08-24 14:56)

#99 2009-08-24 15:22

krtek

ReNamer:Rules   and   ReNamer:Rules:CleanUp
Cleanup filenames from/for commonly used naming conventions for Internet, peer-to-peer networks, and other resources.

What does this from stands for? I don't really get it.

#100 2009-08-24 15:26

narayan

I really don't know. I actually copied this verbatim from Denis' post! smile

Can you please brush it up? Thanks!

(I have dealt with pur English names- Never had to deal with these file names. So I don't have personal experience to say anything about it.)

Last edited by narayan (2009-08-24 15:29)

Board footer