#41 2009-03-16 16:23

narayan

Re: ReNamer: Making of new manual

just a link to How to break the script execution which should be somewhere in the main part of manual

Unfortunately, my mail has not reached the authors at taoyue site, it seems. They have not updated the site nor answered my mail. So I guess we may as well cover the scripting basics in the manual.

The original manual contained a bare list of functions and procedures. By now I have added a substantial amount of theory also. So now it is an awkward mix of theory and reference tables.

So we could make a separate chapter for the theory, and the appendix will contain abbreviated Pascalscript reference tables (commands, variables, control loops, etc.)

So can you write that chapter? I could send you the entire script-related material I have collected so far, if you let me have your email ID. (please send a PM to me)

#42 2009-03-16 19:31

krtek

I might try, but I can't do any promise about terms.
I was ill for last few days, sitting at home and making things I like and not the ones I must to tongue
That's how these few minimanuals were born.

You may laugh at the second thing, but... I'm still not feeling like an expert of PascalScript. So I can write about basics.

All this means I definitely can write an introductional tutorial for newbies "How to get started with PascalScript".
But I'm not as sure that I will cope with the whole chapter.

Anyway, I'm sending you my e-mail.

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#43 2009-03-19 16:09

narayan

Hi krtek and Denis,

I sent each of you separate mails but did not receive responses.

* Denis- I have sent to you some doubts/comments/suggestions
* krtek- I have sent you proposal about how to proceed with your script chapter.

(Probably my email might have been filtered out as spam- Please check!)

#44 2009-03-19 16:44

krtek

Hmm, I guess it's your filter, cause I've sent an answer on 17.03.

It looked like that:
"
Hi,
I used OpenOffice quite a long time ago. And that’s definitely not a good time for me to install it again and learn the differences.

So I would prefer .doc type files.

Thanks,
Konrad
"

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#45 2009-03-19 17:21

narayan

OK. I will send the doc type to you. I have already made a chapter for script and added some material there. I have not added all your material from this thread- I thought you would be able to do it better!

Denis, I know you are loaded with work now. Let me have a ballpark figure when you would be free. I have not used the latest beta for the screenshots, because I guess you might be taking up at least some of my suggestions, which will change the GUI yet again. So I'll insert the screenshots at the last possible moment. As such I will be updating the text part based on your feedback.

As discussed, I will not send you the manuscript until it reaches a reasonably finished stage.

The final version will have about 90 pages.

Last edited by narayan (2009-03-19 17:23)

#46 2009-03-23 02:22

narayan

Hi Konrad!

I have split the manual into two parts and sent both volumes to you. Hope you got it!

While converting into doc format, there were some problems (mainly extra blank table rows, and some blank bullet points.)

Please ignore these problems, and add whatever material you can. The material you add will go into the original odt files, which do not have these problems.

If you have not received the files, please let me know- I will send the latest version again.

Thanks...

#47 2009-03-23 15:39

krtek

I've got it. But I'm quite busy at the moment.
I will finish the begginer's tutorial for PascalScript first. Then (or paralel) we will have to fill the appendices. Especially appendice A (PascalScript Referance - Functions and Procedures) will need some collective writing, cause I won't be able to write it on my own.
We need to do some template of description for function and ask everybody to add a brick to the wall.

#48 2009-03-23 17:07

narayan

The best way people can contribute "brick-by-brick" is through Drupal.
That would lessen the load on individual authors also.

Since Denis cannot take up its installation+management load, can anyone else do it?
Then we can do this yet!

Last edited by narayan (2009-03-23 17:07)

#49 2009-03-28 09:36

narayan

I have finished the User Manual. The half-finished second volume (Pascal-Script Manual) is with Konrad.

I have sent some comments/doubts to Denis; and he will send me his response when he gets time. Based on the response, I will finish the manual. Some of the points are likely to change the ReNamer GUI. Therefore I am not updating the screenshots for now.

Any volunteers who can proofread the manual?

Please suggest how to share this manual. I'll appreciate it if someone can place it at a shared server.

Thanks!

Last edited by narayan (2009-03-28 09:36)

#50 2009-03-29 07:41

Andrew

You could RAR it up (Word DOC format would be good) and upload it to MediaFire, RapidShare etc. Then we could have a look at it and give our suggestions, additions etc.

Board footer