#81 2009-06-23 14:33

den4b
Administrator

Re: ReNamer: Making of new manual

Regarding Pascal Scripts topics...
You can leave them to me, I can start the structure going with stab topics, and hopefully other users like krtek would help me filling them up with content.

Regarding @@@ markings...
Can you replace them with {{Question:???}} tags, so they can be easily found.

Move the entire html+png bunch to a separate Renamer folder...
I'm not fully sure what you are proposing here. If you are talking of creating a separate wiki for each project, then it is defiantly not going to happen. It will be too messy and a nightmare to manage. It is not a huge issue right now, and later, when images will start to collide we can easily rename and prefix them with specific application name.

Now the page is named Quick Guide...
So do you want to call your page "Quick Start" instead? I can rename the old version to "Quick Start (alternative)" or something like that and your page can be a "Quick Start". I want to keep the old version for reference.

Here is a question for you: "Quick Start" vs "Quick start"...
Which capitalization is more appropriate, and why? I thought you might have a good answer to that.

P.S. I hope I didn't miss anything.

#82 2009-06-23 15:36

narayan

@pascalScript;
Then I will also add the text in some new pages of my own. Then you can decide how to merge them, or anything else. Converting the existing manual into mediawiki is a one-minute job. smile

The @@@ marking:
Even the @@@ can be found easily (the basic idea is to use a string that does not occur naturally anywhere else). I have used them consistently. At this point there is no benefit of my finding @@@ and replacing them with ???. It would need just one round of cleaning up can from you; as you are sure to know what I did not. So let's finish that off.

I have also left some tables (especially in options) without the @@@ marks, because there was no point in entering @@@ in every cell. These tables simply need to be filled.

@name of pages:
You have named all pages perfectly. That's what I wanted. smile
So let's not change that now.

@capitalization:

The grammar rule is as follows:
"Capitalize major words in titles of books, written works, or songs.
Short prepositions ("the," "a," or "an") are not capitalized if they aren't the first word."

example: War and Peace

In our case, the pages are equivalent to the chapters of a book. So the same rule applies.

#83 2009-06-23 16:39

den4b
Administrator

Ok, all good regarding PascalScript and @@@ markings. I just said that because @@@ cannot be found via the Wiki search, each documents needs to be opened and searched individually. But I think I'll manage.

Regarding the capitalization, I was afraid that you gonna say what you said wink I am aware of the general rule for capitalizing letters, but I thought that our quick guide/start might be an exception. Think of a trademark or a proper noun, although it is not exactly the case. Consider the following messages:

Would you like to open "User Manual" to view a "Quick Start" guide?

...versus...

Would you like to open "User manual" to view a "Quick start" guide?

...versus...

Would you like to open "user manual" to view a "quick start" guide?

I guess the 3rd one is a correct version, but the 1st one seems more appropriate.

#84 2009-06-23 17:55

krtek

In my opinion the third option would be good, but only if we omit quotation marks, so:

Would you like to open user manual to view a quick start guide?

As for "Quick Start" and "Quick start" I'm not an expert.

Last edited by krtek (2009-06-23 17:56)

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#85 2009-06-23 17:58

Andrew

I'd go with the 1st one too... smile

#86 2009-06-23 18:16

narayan

Actually the same rule applies whether on the actual headings of the pages or while referring to the article in some other place. (Or even in the Table of Contents, for that matter.)

Example:

War and Peace (in actual title of the book).
Have you read War and Peace? (as written elsewhere.)

BTW as a convention, the titles are always italicized in printed text.
They are neither put in bold nor enclosed in double quotes.
(But I think you used that formatting to indicate the choices here, right?)

#87 2009-07-11 16:18

narayan

I have brushed up some PascalScript pages (added a quick guide and explanation for the functions). The functions need to be explained further, with examples.

• I have marked my doubts with  ???

• Also fill up the blank cells.

• Examples needed for most functions.

Last edited by narayan (2009-07-11 16:20)

#88 2009-07-21 14:20

den4b
Administrator

I'm back! I will start going through Wiki pages... slowly but surely!

#89 2009-07-22 11:08

narayan

Welcome back!

We already have a fantastic manual now.  Only some definitions to be added in pascal script functions page.

I wonder how it would look in pdf form?
Do we have a plugin to export the mediawiki pages as a single pdf book?

I found some alternatives:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Pdf_Export
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PDF_Writer
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension … ort_Dompdf

#90 2009-07-30 13:17

den4b
Administrator

We might have to pause the PDF exporter for a while. Most PDF extensions seem to need some compiled software packages to be installed on the server, and I don't have that option on my hosting. Let's finish the Wiki first, and then we'll think of options for PDF exporting...

Board footer