#21 2009-05-24 17:25

den4b
Administrator

Re: Setting up a Wiki: DokuWiki or MediaWiki

Wiki is finally ready! big_smile

http:||www.den4b.com|wiki|
(replace "|" with "/")

I mangled the URL so the spam bots are not going to find it yet.

At the moment anyone can register, and if you are planning to contribute I suggest registering ASAP. In few days from now I will disable registration of new accounts, in order to control the number of editors and for spam protection. After that, new registration would have to be requested.

Performance  issues have appeared after the upgrade to a new platform (required for MediaWiki). I am trying to sort them out with the technical support, but it might take time. Please be patient when working with Wiki, sometimes pages may take a while to load.

And the last thing, please don't link to Wiki until we are ready!

#22 2009-05-25 10:01

krtek

OK, I'm in.
It seems not to be very hard to get use to its format.
But first I need the OpenOffice or some Word macro to transfer the stuff to the wiki...

Last edited by krtek (2009-05-25 10:46)

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#23 2009-05-25 12:25

narayan

As I posted earlier, I will take care of the conversion from my original draft (odt) and post it there. that will be the easiest way.

Then others can edit all pages.
We need a lot of additional text in the Pascal Script manual anyway!

BTW I had made a separate manual for Pascal Script. In mediawiki version, shall we still keep them separate?

#24 2009-05-25 16:58

narayan

I copied most of the text in.

But this version of the Mediawiki has some issue- It does not show tables properly (as in the main mediawiki's sandpit).

BTW how do I upload a n image? The toolbar does not have a button for that. (As I understand, I have to first upload the image to the wiki site and then insert its label in a page.)

Denis, I believe there are extensions to paste clipboard contents into the mediawiki (either directly in the article or first in the repository.) This will be a huge timesaver for us. i can simply pick each image from the odt file and paste it into the article (or upload it). Can you install that extension, please?

Thanks!

Last edited by narayan (2009-05-25 17:07)

#25 2009-05-25 18:03

krtek

I copied all I've written so far. Two small articles to go and PascalScript in a nutshell will be finished.
I've used MediaWikiPlus macro for MS Word.
But I'm quite confused with the formatting.
I followed your corrections Dennis (thanks for that, it saved me some time) and made all of the pages look like the first one.
But I have no idea how to make them look good (or better). The truth is I have little time for that as well.
Hopefully information is more important than format.

Last edited by krtek (2009-05-25 18:06)

Regular Expressions are not as hard to understand as you may think. Check ReNamer's manual or nice Regular Expressions tutorial for more info and start to use full power of applications that use them (like ReNamer, Mp3Tag and so on).

#26 2009-05-28 03:30

narayan

Denis,

I still need your help with 3 separate things:

1. The following link says it is disabled by default, and needs to be turned on manually by the site admin:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Co … le_uploads

2. I am unable to find the upload button in the toolbar. (None of the tooltips matches that description). I think you need to add that button in the toolbar.

3. If you get the paste from clipboard extension, it will be easier for me to copy images from the odt file and paste it there. (All my screenshots and images are inside the odt file. They do not exist separately. So the easiest method to add images is to copy each image from the manual, and paste it in the wiki in its mirror position. But I cannot do that without the extension I mentioned in my earlier post.)

Thanks.

#27 2009-05-28 11:24

den4b
Administrator

To upload files you need to open a special page "Special:Upload" (as a page title), you can find a link to it in the toolbox or from a list of special pages.

File uploads are enabled, and I have successfully uploaded several images. Where exactly are you having problem? Where does it say for you that uploads are disabled? Remember that you need to be logged in!

I am not sure that "paste from clipboard" extension will be such a good idea, sounds a bit dodgy to be honest, like something that can break any minute and probably break on the upgrade... wink

Regarding tables, I have added custom table styles "wikitable" and "prettytable" in order to display those tables correctly. They are custom styles which do not come with MediaWiki by default, but are used in Wikipedia project. Now we have them too!

krtek wrote:

But I have no idea how to make them look good (or better). The truth is I have little time for that as well.
Hopefully information is more important than format.

Information IS more important right now! The formatting can be fixed later, so don't spend much time trying to figure out how to make it look pretty... wink

I will try to publish a page with links to wiki formatting guides asap.

EDIT: Published a small "Help" page and link to it on the "Main Page".

Last edited by den4b (2009-05-28 11:44)

#28 2009-05-29 02:54

narayan

Actually I didn't put that clearly: When I did not see the "file upload" button in the toolbar, I thought the facility was not enabled yet. But since you have already uploaded some files, that point is out of the way.

@paste from clipboard:
When I said "paste from clipboard", I was using a "shortcut". I don't think mediawiki allows direct pasting of images like that: You HAVE to upload the file to a server first.

So we can safely say that the extension must be allowing uploading of images from clipboard.

As explained, my images are embedded in the manual. I do not have them separately. I do not know how to export them. Probably OpenOffice/MS Office does not envisage this scenario where the author has to extract the images from a document for any reason.

Even if I am able to somehow export all images, they will all be collected in a single folder. Then I have to look at each image and figure out where it goes. Too tedious!

On the other hand, the extension will allow me to select each image from a chapter in the manual, and upload it. Then I can open the same chapter in the wiki and insert the picture. That will save me a lot of time and effort.

#29 2009-05-30 14:23

den4b
Administrator

Do you know the name/link for this "paste from clipboard" extension?

By the way, in order to export the images you need to save the document as a web page, in MS Word the option is called "Save as Web Page (*.html)"

#30 2009-06-01 15:31

narayan

Yeah I found that by Googling. It's a great trick!

I can chop the odt file and then upload the images chapter by chapter. That should be easier than even the "paste from clipboard" facility.

But if anyone else still needs that paste from clipboard extension, I will search for it.

Thanks.

Board footer